Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsoft Pocket Word !Help!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketGear.com Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JtArtImagery
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Microsoft Pocket Word !Help! Reply with quote

Is it possible for Pocket Word to make hyperlinks functional with in the handheld unit? If so how can it do so? If not what is the next best text editor that enables Hyperlinks within documents?

------------------
Justin Bankhead
Justin@JtArtImagery.com
TheMasterMinds.org
HighCountryHome.com
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If you save the document as html on the desktop then the hyperlinks should work.

------------------
Chris De Herrera
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
http://www.cewindows.net - The most complete set of FAQs on Windows CE
http://www.tabletpctalk.com - The best source for Tablet PC News
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperlinks work in Pocket Word docs, but not links to other files within your PPC device file system. However, links within an open HTML file in PIE will open certain types of files within the device, provided Pocket IE is able to display them itself. Not PXL files, for instance. But images in several formats, other HTML docs, TXT files, and a few others can all open in PIE. So if you author a set of HTML files all referencing eachother in very specific locations in the device they will open, and link to eachother.
However, not the demand that the spaces in \My Documents and any other subfolder of the device be substituted with %20 for these links to work at all! For example, if you have an HTML doc open called Doc1.html and you want to open a file called Doc2.html in the same folder, and the folder is located in a filder like \My Documents\Business\HTML files\Doc-set, here's the absolute path needed to find that document from a link in Pocket IE:
file://\My%20Documents\Business\HTML%20files\Doc-set\Doc2.html
This may seem a bit cumbersome, and it is, really. Personally, if I were designing a UI for the PPC it would not have a My Documents folder for this reason. I prefer to have no spaces in my foldernames, but MS has made this impossible for us. And anyway, if you are at all good at HTML you can simply make the long path disappear by using an a href reference instead of displaying the absolute path.
For editing I use GigaPad, included with all the latest releases of GigaBar. Tillanosoft Notepad is fine too, but lacks some of the tools and keyboard shortcuts for the Stowaway keyboard. bSquared Notepad works fine, as does Pocket Word if you prepare an HTML template first, then use that to re-save under other names, preserving the HTML doc-type.
Enough information? Here's GigaBar: http://www.tekguru.co.uk/gigabar/index.htm
And once installed, soft reset, then go to Settings/System and follow the links to Register, then go to register.gigabar.com to get a code, free.

------------------
Gerard Ivan Samija
Contributing Editor
http://www.pocketnow.com/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketGear.com Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Copyright 2001-2010, Chris De Herrera, All Rights Reserved