Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketDos 1.12.0: strange system time shift at 20 minutes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GyorBoscoMar
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: PocketDos 1.12.0: strange system time shift at 20 minutes Reply with quote

Dear PocketDOS,

I'm working in a company which produces handheld machines equipped with Microsoft Windows CE .NET 4.2. The machines are based on an ARM V4 I technology. The display resolution is 320x240.

Some of our customers use PocketDOS version 1.12.0. We have offered them software that is written with Borland Pascal 7.0 for DOS.

Now, since some months, this customer reports the following strange behavior: From time to time, it happens on different handhelds that the system time shifts at 20 minutes more or less. While I did not yet observe this behavior by myself, I would like to ask whether there is any known issue like this.

The software does not use the Borland Pascal function "SetTime" at any point, but it does mainly use the function "GetTime" to obtain the current time. (We have also got a Windows CE background program, called "Daemon" and use this program to retrieve the Windows time, however, since it communicates with the PocketDos program creating and finding directories, writing and reading text files, it might be too slow to use it always.)

Is there any known issue that sometimes the system time is put into future at 20 minutes randomly?

Best regards
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

We have not come across this issue, or had any similar reports from other users. PocketDOS does not actually set the device's time/date, so if the 'system' time (as reported by Windows CE) is changing, it is not due to anything that PocketDOS is doing. If however, the 'system' time you are referring to is the time/date within PocketDOS (and the Windows CE time is correct), then we can try to investigate the issue further.

Thank you for your interest.
GyorBoscoMar
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pocket PC FAQ Topic Reply for "PocketDos 1.12.0: st Reply with quote

Dear PocketDOS,

thank you for your reply. Indeed it seems a hard issue since I have not yet succeeded to reproduce it. One possibility would be indeed as you told that the "system time" within PocketDOS would be handled differently from the Windows CE time. However, my findings are that when I change the Windows time (within a date), usually it is set correctly within PocketDOS, too, meanwhile the PocketDOS date sometimes does not follow the Windows date change if the new date lies in the past or in the "too far" future.

I try to continue to investigate this issue and to retrieve more informations from the customer. When I have succeeded to find the reason, I'll tell you.

Regards
GyorBoscoMar
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: