Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketDOS mouse driver for Windows 3.1/3.11

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~Mr.Madguy~
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: PocketDOS mouse driver for Windows 3.1/3.11 Reply with quote

Anyone knows that PocketDOS Windows 3.x Mouse Driver, that you can download here, is actually not a Win 3.x compatible driver. That's because it hungs in Win 3.1 Standard mode and it does not make your mouse submit any life signs in Enhached mode. And it seems that nobody does not even try to solve that problem. So I will be the first one. I have rewritten an exmple of mouse driver from Win 3.1 DDK to adapt it for PocketDOS virtual mouse. I have thrown out all unnecessary code from it and then I have certainly added some features to provide interface between real mode Int 33h mouse driver and Windows mouse callback interface, that works in protected mode in Windows 3.1/3.11. The testing of this driver is not completed. So I want to ask your help. How can I send this driver to PocketDOS developers to make it accessible to any user of this great program? And also I need a proffesional's help with translating it's ReadMe into English - that's because English is not my native language.
S#2 Software
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

Please send us the driver, so that we can test it and add it as a download from our website (if you would like that). We can most likely do the translation for you as well. You can send it to {removed}.

Thank you for your interest.

Last edited by PocketDOS on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
~Mr.Madguy~
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done! Check your mailbox.
S#2 Software
mrdarek
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested this driver - can you send me it, I will test it and answer here...
~Mr.Madguy~
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Mouse driver for Win 3.1/3.11 Reply with quote

Wait a bit please. I have just sent a final version of my driver to PocketDos developers. Now they are preparing it for release. It will take a few days to do it. So be patient.
S#2 Software
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This driver can be downloaded from:

http://www.pocketdos.com/Misc/PocketDOS_Win3xMousePM.zip
mrdarek
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I cannot wait and test driver from an russian famous pda forum. After hard combination I run win3.1 with mouse!
But I found that if you want run windows with mouse first must be installled pocketdos utility disk on dos. Really don't like this utility but clean instalation DOS and win not working. Still not also possible running windows in an protected mode, better don't install emm386, only himem.sys - I must run windows with "win /s"
Smartdrive cache, if installed by windows, should be remarked in autexec and config.
Please if you have tested vga driver for windows 3.1 with more colours please post it here! Also anyone have sound?
At last: Thanks for good driver
~Mr.Madguy~
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Mouse driver Reply with quote

mrdarek
1) You don't need to install full utility disk - only mouse.com is required to be installed to enable built-in mouse emulator functions.
2) Disable write caching using "smartdrv.exe -c" instead of fully disabling smartdrv. Read caching is safe. Make sure double-buffer caching support is enabled in your config.sys.
3) Disable PocketDos built-in EMS driver by setting UMB and EMS sizes to 0. After that you will be able to install emm386.exe. Then you surely be able to run windows in advanced mode.
4) Change your default VGA driver to VGA 3.0 using Windows Setup if you have yellow-red picture instead of normal.
S#2 Software
mrdarek
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm simply not lucky with normal windows 3.1. After instalation dos loading with emm386 but windows no - only with win/ s. I try load cute mouse driver simple from dos (not from autoexec) - it says: "loaded" but no mouse will be active in Norton commander or windows. So it's only hope will be install pocketdos system disk. Now mouse is working but emm386 hang in config.sys, also smartdrv hang in autoexec so I remark it...
I also try optimize dos with memmaker but it also hang and not finished job.
If you can please write here your config and autoexec good for windows with mouse (ct mouse from pocket system disk), emm386 and himem. I will try reinstall my system.
I have 8mb xms memory (more is made terrible crach pocketdos for me) and disabled ems and UMB
~Mr.Madguy~
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XMS: 8Mb
EMS: 0
UMB: 0
System: MS-DOS 6.22
config.sys:
Code:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE 3072
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
COUNTRY=007,,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)
INSTALLHIGH=C:\DOS\NLSFUNC.EXE C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
FILES=30
BUFFERS=30
STACKS=10,512

autoexec.bat
Code:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS;C:\NC
SMARTDRV /Q C
MODE CON CODEPAGE PREPARE=((866) C:\DOS\EGA.CPI)
CHCP 866
LH KEYB RU,,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
LH A:\DOS\MOUSE.COM
LH NC.EXE

May be you are using Datalight ROM-DOS SUV or, that werse, somethig like FREEDOS?
S#2 Software
mrdarek
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I use your configs (with my codepage), and another mouse driver - strange - it has only 21 bytes but working! After change in windows setup to vga 3.0 and after first crash and restart finally windows run in 386 enhanced mode (with yellow logo anyway...).
But all your programs not loading in upper memory - I have 580 kb free on start. This 3072 ems memory is necessary? Maybe better will be noems?
anyway thank you.
~Mr.Madguy~
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunally UMB is not working if you set its size to 0 but this is the only way to successfuly load emm386. You may disable EMS if you don't need it. Mouse.com is not a driver or TSR itself - it only enables emulators built-in driver and forces it to install its Int 33h handler.
S#2 Software
~Mr.Madguy~
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: UMB crashes system Reply with quote

I have made some experiments and found out the cause of system hungs described above. I have tried both MS-DOS(himem+emm386) and PocketDos(xmsmem+umblink+emsmem) built-in memory managers and I have got the following results: the system became unstable and may hung when some part of the DOS, drivers or TSRs are loaded into UMB. I think that happens because DOS tries to use some memory, reserved by emulator, as UMBs. This causes damege to data and cause system hang or even crashes the emulator. The only way to solve this problem is to remove DOS=UMB directive from config.sys.
S#2 Software
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: