Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I install software?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Handheld PC Questions/Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BookWorm
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: How do I install software? Reply with quote

I can download a lot of software for my Z50 (CE 2.11) but what should I download it to? Once I get the browser CE Geek recommended, should I download stuff to the Z50 itself, or do I have to sync with the big computer and install it from there?
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on the nature of the software installer you download. If it's a CAB file, then an on-device installation can be done with a double-tap on the file. If it's a standalone EXE then just put it where you want it and launch the thing directly, and/or make a shortcut to it in your start menu. If it's an InstallShield or other PC-based installer type, then you would need to put it on the host PC, connect the device to that PC, then run the installer. Sensible developers tend to offer at least the first and last options, but in many cases you will be stuck installing from the PC.
CE Geek
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BookWorm, the ZIP package contains just one Windows CE executable file: the browser application itself (WtalkCE.exe). All you have to do is copy it onto a Compact Flash card and insert it in the z50. You can even run it from the CF card. Just double-tap on it, and you're off.
BookWorm
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I just beamed it to the Z50 using activesync, and put it on the desktop. I really should get a compact flash. Does the Z50 or CE2.11 have a maximum CF size limit?
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves well (doubtful in my case, so do some corroborative research) there was a 2GB limit for the file system of those devices. With Pocket PC (WinCE 3.0 and above as the core) there seems not to be such a limit, though NTFS is off limits entirely. I've used FAT and FAT32 drives up to 70GB without issue from a Toshiba e830, and on a much older Casio EG-800 I used a 6GB external drive via a PCMCIA>CF adapter.
CE Geek
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard, the upper limit of 2 GB is for FAT(16) format only. The theoretical upper limit for FAT32 (which is supported by Windows CE 2.11 and higher) is 32 GB, though there have been issues with cards larger than 8 GB as these newer CF cards use a different cluster density that these older devices can't read properly. There's been some recent discussion of this over at HPC:Factor.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Handheld PC Questions/Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: