Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! HP Jornada 720 & SMC PC Card Problems

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Handheld PC Questions/Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epimetheus
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Help! HP Jornada 720 & SMC PC Card Problems Reply with quote

Alright, so I've been working nonstop for the past 5 hours trying to get this Jornada to work with my 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card. I've tried the Compaq WL100 Driver installation for "Handheld PC 2000" and the "Linksys WPC11 driver." Neither work.

I researched the card, and found out that according to the SMC Model No. and FCC ID, I am dealing with an Intersil PRISM 3 chipset. Now, it would make sense to me that I should just download the PRISMNDS drivers (which are no longer being hosted or supported) and install them on the handheld (however this is done).

ALSO, considering that this IS an SMC card, it would be freakin' wonderful if the standard drivers for the card worked for Windows CE but that's also a no-go.

I'm a bit stressed out with this thing and am just trying to get this working for a friend. I figured out the error 678/connectivity problem i was having and got it to sync, but that's about all.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware I'm dealing with:

HP Jornada 720
- recently hard-reset
- nothing to back up, nothing to worry about

SMC EliteConnect 802.11b Type-II PCMCIA card
- Part No - SMC2532W-B
- FCC ID - M4Y-XI330HP
- alt. nomenclature - Z-Com XI-330HP

My Computer
- custom built, running XP Pro SP3

Connection
- Proprietary Connection to Serial
CE Geek
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The generic Prism drivers (including version 3.0) are still hosted online - as well as specific versions of the Prism driver for several specific cards. Check the links below:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/detail.asp?hcdid=103&pn=2&mstrcat=12&sortby=&hclq=&gowince=1,%203,%205,%207,%2010

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0007.asp

http://www.hpcmonex.net/izemize.htm (check for the link near the bottom of the page)

Let us know if one of these works. Smile

I have to admit, though, that I've never been a big fan of Prism-based cards, though, because they all seem to work inconsistently (at least in my experience). By contrast, I've never had any problems with my Agere-based cards (Agere ORiNOCO Classic Gold and Roku SoundBridge) with my large collection of H/PCs (except my Fujitsu PenCentra 200 [H/PC 2000 version], which doesn't let me install the drivers in the first place Confused ).

Last edited by CE Geek on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Epimetheus
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you very much for your assistance. I just need pointed in the right direction with new things at times.

Unfortunately, though, I just might have to get a different card. My card isn't even shown in the compatibility list; only a close cousin (the SMC2632W)is listed, and even that is not listed as being supported under Windows CE 3.0/2000.

Nevertheless, I still tried to get it to work by using different drivers. The second link you provided (after I deleted everything after .asp since it seemed the link was broken) sent me to Linksys drivers and the driver hack (since the config program wouldn't run). Of all these, none worked.

The third and final link sent me to a nice list of programs and drivers for this thing. I downloaded the prism drivers and sent the .cab on over to the Jordana, ran it, and it didn't work either.

Oh, and the prism link at the end of the third page - I think that's just Prism 2.5. Anyhow, I'm just going to search for generic Prism 3.0 drivers, and suggest that he get a different card according to the list you provided.

Thanks for the help... sorry it didn't work. At least I'm getting quite familiar with using the Jordana now.

Oh yeah, and if you just so happen to know where I could get said Prism 3.0 drivers that you said are still hosted online, please let me know... unless you meant the linksys link, in which case I'll just suggest getting a new card.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have in my WLAN drivers archive an Intersil Prism installer (containing relevant CAB file(s) etc.) which is dated September 29, 2002, and is of a size 5.8MB. I do not know the driver version, but perhaps this is enough information that you might be able to guess the version compared to yours? Let me know by private message or email whether I should send you a copy of this installer. The file does not have the original name, as I tend to rename files such as this in more obvious fashion... so it's just labelled as being Prism driver for WinCE3.
CE Geek
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've edited the above post to correct the second link. (Dunno how the extra characters got in there. Embarassed )

Looks like I incorrectly assumed that the download from the third link was version 3.0. Sorry for leading you astray. Sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Handheld PC Questions/Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: