Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems restoring data into my O2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobieZ
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Problems restoring data into my O2 Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I'd like some advice. I recently had my O2 Xda II repaired and when I attempted to restore my data i got an error message which read like this:

"Restore could not copy the following file(s) to the device. To correct this error close any programs on your device that may have these files locked and then press Retry. You may choose to skip these files; however, they will not be correctly restored on your device."

The files listed were as follows:

IA_Photo_Contacts
Contacts Database
IA_Photo_Contacts_Group
Appointments Database
\Categories Database
Tasks Database
ArcSoftTodayScreen.dll

When I couldn't understand how to fix this, I skipped restoring the files and did a soft reset to my device (as directed) so my original settings would appear.

Everything worked fine as I proceeded to Sync my device to restore my Contacts, Calendar, Notes, & Tasks. Unfortunately, when I checked my SMS Inbox, all my previous messages were there but I can neither open or delete them. I also noticed that the envelope icon found on the left column is missing.

How do I restore this properly? Many of these messages contain important info.

I hope anyone can help. Thanks.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While understanding your sense of urgency in getting a solution, if there is one, it is generally considered bad form to copy/paste whole posted questions and to keep re-posting this text, You wrote this exact question here - http://forums.pocketpcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=18960& - a couple of days ago. Please choose a location for your questions, then wait. Someone may provide an answer. Cross-posting will not improve your chances.
RobieZ
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Pardon me (also is Problem restoring some files on my O2 Xda Reply with quote

Hi Gerard,

As I mentioned, I'm new here so I wasn't sure if my post crossed to similar forums. The only replies I got were from Chris who, though helpful, was stumped as I was with this problem.

Is my need urgent? YES! If anyone can help please do. I have gone over this and other forums and no one seems to have encountered this problem. But I hope I am proven wrong and that someone out there has a solution.

Thanks.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I know nothing about SMS messages (email works, so I don't look to making life more complicated), the only suggestions I could offer would be a) try looking into the backup file with a hex editor to see if your information can be read there, try a soft reset with the device in the cradle, connected to the PC, and then repeat the restore attempt, or c), get a time machine, go back, install Sprite Backup, and make a proper backup of all your data.
RobieZ
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Problems restoring data into my O2 Reply with quote

Would dbExplorer or dbView count as hex editors?

Thanks.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I've misread your question. It had seemed that you were trying to re-synch your data, using an Activesync backup or Outlook data on the PC via Activesync. Is that not the case? If it's a PPC based backup file, to a card, then you'd have to transfer that to a PC and use a hex editor or text editor to look for plaintext of value inside, if it's there.

No, dbView and dbExplorer are database viewers/tools, not hex editors. If the databases you've corrupted or made inaccessible are in fact fully present in the restored device, then perhaps these two programs could be of use in directly viewing or exporting the data (dbView won't export, dbExplorer will) for viewing in a text editor. There is a hex editor for the PPC, from S_K if memory serves, but it had no advantages over PC-based editors and was rather hard to use.
RobieZ
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Problems restoring data into my O2 Reply with quote

You're right the first time. It's a PC based backup file which I tried to re-sync via ActivSync.

If I do have a hex editor, what should I be looking for or is it just a matter of exporting the files to my device via dbExplorer?

Thanks.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a PC version of dbExplorer? I didn't know about that. I can export existing databases as TSV or CSV files within my PPC... then look at the text in a notepad. A hex editor might allow looking at the Outlook (PST? STG?) file on the PC to see if important words were readble... but I'm really just grasping at straws here.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC Bugs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: