Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running Excel 2000 files on my iPAQ 3600

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC FAQ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valium
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Running Excel 2000 files on my iPAQ 3600 Reply with quote

Hi,

First of all, I truly appreciate your efforts for maintaining a forum like this one... God knows how many chaps get stuck as soon as they get their first Pocket PCs... mine's a pretty old one, didn't have to use it until recently... I'm having trouble running my Excel2000 files on my COMPAQ iPAQ 3600, i installed ActiveSync 4.2 but even after synchronization, and conversion of file formats from *.xls to *.pxl, my Pocket PC is unable to run the file ... can someone here please help me out?

Best regards,

Vicky.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are advanced features in your Excel files, such as executable content, graphs, I am not really sure what all (not being a serious Excel user), it seems that the Pocket PC version of Excel will not be able to display that content. It may be that certain user-added content in such files actually block Pocket Excel from being able to launch the file at all... I don't know, but have seen complaints not too different from yours over the years.

I'd suggest installing the latest version of PlanMaker, from the German company SoftMaker. Their spreadsheet application gets similarly great reviews to their brilliant word processor, TextMaker. They are to be found here:

http://www.softmaker.de/

If it cannot open the file, then perhaps Activesync is doing something odd on converting the file. You could try going into your Acticesync options on the PC and disabling conversion of all files, or just the relevant Excel files.
Valium
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: will give it a shot. Reply with quote

Dude, thanx for your somewhat soothing comments... Confused

yes, the excel files contain some macros... first i'll try copy pasting the cells on a simple excel sheet and try to run that particular file on the Pocket Excel. I've installed ActiveSync 4.2 , and the Excel that i have on my system is Excel 2000... is it possible i need to update my Pocket Excel? if so, where do i get the updates from? I've checked the Microsoft website but to no avail... surprisingly, i found the Microsoft's website most non-interactive... it was as if i was work on some new interface!

Regards,

Vicky.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised... to find Microsoft's site difficult... hm, seems your expectations might have been formed on some planet other than this one...

There are no updates for Pocket Excel. Never have been. Oh, they've tweaked it here and there with the different iterations of the PPC OS, given it slightly broader functionality. With WM5 I hear they've finally allowed one to edit some advanced-feature carrying Excel files and save without auto-deleting the advanced features. That's handy, and something users only had to scream bloody murder about for about 6 years before it got fixed.

Like I said, PlanMaker will probably do what you need. Pocket Excel is not quite Notepad-compared-to-Word, but it's not exactly like the PC version of Excel, to be understated about it.
Valium
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, i downloaded the "PlanMaker" software from the German site that you recommended... however, unfortunately, its unable to open those Excel files either. I have no idea whats wrong.

As far as Microsoft's website's interface is concerned, guess i'm too much used to the new Flash interfaces where there's less info in too much area, easy to seek what u need... sorry if i offended u with those comments of mine, didn't mean to.

Nevertheless, i'd be grateful if you can find me something to run my *.xls files on my iPAQ.

Regards,

Vicky
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softmaker announced a new public beta of PlanMaker this morning. Perhaps you could try that version and see if it still fails with your documents.

Another thought; are you certain that these are in fact XLS files? Could it be that they are actually some other file type, re-named to an Excel type by accident? Just a thought, but one which might explain why they're not opening.

Other than that you might have a try with SpreadCE from the UK firm Bye Design, another spreadsheet application with versions for HPC and PPC, along with a few other devices.

http://www.byedesign.freeserve.co.uk/
Valium
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Thanx Gerard Reply with quote

you've been a blessing all along bro. Thanks for all the prompt responses. Things are finally working! no, they weren't renamed files, those were XLS files that i had created with MS-Excel on my laptop... guess it was some compatibility problem. Some of those files still don't work, so what i do is i remove the extra macros and simply copy the data.

Regards,

Vicky.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC FAQ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: