Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wrong password ...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> AirScanner Mobile Encrypter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlbertS
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: wrong password ... Reply with quote

like in the 'can't decode file' and 'invalid password !?' topics below it has happened to me now twice that i couldn't decode a volume

i have a iPAQ 2790 and use the Encrypting programme some 9 months, a number of times per week
i use a global password for access and a password per volume
global access has never been a problem
in 2 cases i couldn't decode a volume - different volumes, one quite important to me with a back-up of 2 weeks before - too long ago as it turned out Sad

error message: 'wrong password' while i am 100% sure i used the right passwords (it was neither the global password)

observations

i noticed that it occurred when 'dismount' after most likely the pocket pc had been switched off for some time, maybe several times (sorry have no 100% sure statement on this but i do have a strong habit of switching it off to safe the battery)

i also noted that it accepted the password but the error message comes when the decoding starts

suggestions

-check out all kind of start stop situations incl switching off during decoding itself and the effect of reset to see under which circumstances an error could occur
-maybe you could check the 'mountability' of the file automatically before bitwiping the orginal file or directory (the error message comes almost immediately when decoding starts: you should be able to detect if you would keep the password used as reference for this test - although i must admit that i donot know how that would weaken maybe the protection

i hope you can sort this out ... allthough it only happened twice, it would take away the worry i now still have when i 'dismount' a volume - ' will i see you again..?' Wink

looking forward to your reaction!

ciao
AlbertS
air1
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you,

That is very good feedback.

Please email us at contact@airscanner.com if you would like to try a new test version.
AlbertS
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: wrong password - continued Reply with quote

thanks for you reply - hope it contributes for next versions ..

some more ...

lost again a volume this week but under quite peculiar circumstances - maybe there is some useful information in there

I have a iPAQ2790 wiht SD and Compact Flash card
The encrypted volumes are all on the Compact Flash card
For whatever reason Windows Mobile 5 does NOT always recognise the presence the card in the Compact Flash slot

(could tell, if someone is interested, some observations i made about this)

When mounting a volume I didn't realise that the the Compact Flash card on which the .vol file was placed was not seen by the operating system

However, the AME did mount the volume but it went sooo quickly I realised something was wrong

When I looked for the mounted file I couldn't find the CF card nor the mounted file in main memory or on SD card

First question: how can AME mount a volume if it can't see it? It shouldn't! It should simply say: 'don't see the volume' and take no action

I then dismounted the volume again in an attempt to annulate the action i had done - this turned out to have been a mistake

Because ...

I made the CF card then visible to WM5 by launching the wireless utility - apparently it scans the slots for a wireless card and thus finds the CF card and makes it visible in the explorer

I found the volume on the CF Card - but I couldn't mount it anymore and, by its size, it was empty - the original vol file had gone!

How did the file get there while the card was invisible for WM5!?

When I tried to mount the new, empty looking, volume file it said 'starting volume mounting ...' and then gave the message: 'password incorrect please try again' immediately followed by 'decryption error try again' - similar as i have indicated in my first posting; also here the global password didn't work ...

When i give it a wrong password it only states cleanly and immediately, no delay: ' Invalid password. Try again.'

I created a new empty volume on the CF card and it actually has exactly the same size as the 'abused' volume which replace the original one

Last thing I did: i pulled out the CF card and tried to mount this new empty volume which is placed on this CF card and AME simply mounts it ...

suggestions:

- check presence of .vol file before trying to mount it; if it is not visible - don't mount it!
- ask to confirm in case current .vol file will be replaced by empty one!

hope you can do something with this

air1, if you want i can send you the 'abused' empty file and the test empty file i created (both same size) including their passwords for further analysis

ciao,
AlbertS
air1
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

We will be releasing an improved version in the next week or two that will hopefully address the above..

Thanks for your kind feedback! It helps!
AlbertS
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: new version of 12 Sept Reply with quote

hello

i see there is a new version available

i bought my orginal programme - it was ready - didn't have to insert any registration code or so

if i download the new version, does it simply replace the old version (and keeps on working indefinitely) or does it force me to buy it after ending the 30days trial?

thanks for letting me know

Albert
air1
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you should back up your data, uninstall the old one, and install v2.9. It will not expire.
AlbertS
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your answer!

AlbertS
ASFW
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: wrong password ... Reply with quote

AlbertS wrote:
error message: 'wrong password' while i am 100% sure i used the right passwords (it was neither the global password)

I've had this problem as well. I was using the correct password as well.

Has this been resolved ?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> AirScanner Mobile Encrypter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: