Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Having problems downloading & running .exe file format

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC FAQ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cassmom69
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Having problems downloading & running .exe file format Reply with quote

Can someone please help me? I am disabled & cannot get to a desktop. I am trying to download a music file & it won't open. I have successfully downloaded other large files, Voice Command & XM Satellite Radio BUT I couldn't open them as .exe. luckily both companies were kind enough to create the program in .cab format & it works great!
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, wendy
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could give detailed information about a) what sort of music file you cannot play (ie; file extension, source of the file), and b) what media player you want to play it in, perhaps someone can offer the proper sort of assistance. TCPMP can play almost any music file format. Real Player for PPC can play some types of Real files, but not all. There are a few other players. Details of your file will narrow down the possible solutions. A link to a copy of the file would help, as I could just download and test it.
cassmom69
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: .exe file for pocket pc6700 Reply with quote

Hi Gerard! thanks for responding. I was trying to get ringtones & the site kept sending me to Napster to download. I couldn't get it to work so I contacted Napster myself. The music files are all .mp3 files. I could pick a song, press 'to listen' & Windows Media Player 10 would open up & play it. The trouble started when I went to Napster website to create membership. I filled out all info but there was no visible 'submit' button. The lady at Napster was wonderful & sent me a link to register & start downloading. I opened the link, downloaded the file & then BOOM, I can't run it. I can't thank you enough for helping me on this!!
Here is the link she sent me:
-----------------------------
As a reminder, your case number is 420239.

To download the Napster Client to your computer:

1. Go to www.justforfiles.com.

2. From the Installation Files menu, select Napster Client. Run this file.

3. After it has installed, it should bring up a window to register for a trial. During the registration, make sure you select Napster Light if you do not want a subscription.

The Napster Light should allow you to listen to 30 second clips and then purchase the tracks if you wish. Your Audiovox PocketPC 6700 may not be able to read Napster's protected wma files. If it is not able to read this format, you can burn the tracks and rip them back into Windows Media Player in an mp3 format. For more information on this, contact Audiovox at 1-800-645-4994. Also, in regards to the ring tones, you will need to contact Dwango Support, the Napster ring tone provider, at 1-866-392-6461 or to get information you can email info@dwango.com.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I visited the link you provided, used the menu to select the file you named, and it downloaded to my Pocket PC. Very large, I thought to myself, as it seemed excessively big for a Pocket PC program. Once completely downloaded I tapped it in File Explorer, and found (not really surprised at this) that it was in fact not a Pocket PC program at all, and would not launch. Well, having heard for years just what an incredibly bad program Napster is (I did a full device backup using Sprite just before downloading this program, just in case it messed up my PPC), I will certainly not be transferring it to my PC for installation there. I cannot afford the time involved to get such spyware-infested garbage off my PC.

I am sorry, but it seems I can be of no use to you in this. As for getting ringtones, I'd suggest that you avoid using Napster and instead seek open downloads of suitable MP3 files, files which are not in some proprietary, locked, DRM-encrypted WMA format (as they suggest they are in those instructions), but in a non-encrypted format which is readily playable in any media player. Rather than fixing their obviously obnoxious product, use search engines to find decent products with simple procurement procedures. Just my opinion. Good luck.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC FAQ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: