Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poket PC Emailing features

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC FAQ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monaymalik
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Poket PC Emailing features Reply with quote

hey guyz i hav got an assignment n i shall b vvery thankful if u help me out ...

tell me maximum possible email applications and features (At least 15 20) in Pocket PC Email System as well as related security issues if any..

Reply ASAP !!
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon? Do you mean the total number of different email applications available? At least 15-20? Seems an arbitrary number, unless you mean something else. Please explain your questions.
monaymalik
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically i can write as many features and email applications
available in pocket PC but it should be atleast 15-20 , no matter if it will be more than that.
But it is the assign question if u dunt know dat much features then do tell me as many as u can.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a school assignment, to answer how many programs will run on a Pocket PC? Well, Handango and PocketGear alone offer many thousands of freeware and shareware titles... then there are many, many sites listing applications which are free... If you are asking someone to provide you with the work for your assignment, then I'd suggest that you consider doing the work yourself. That's the only way to actually learn something.

But... I'll throw you a bone and list a few off the top of my head:

Email applications:

- native 'Inbox' program (called 'Messaging' in WM2003SE and later), labelled as tmail.exe in Windows folder - capable of basic POP3/SMTP messaging and IMAP as well, and HTTP-based email (such as Hotmail) using one of several third-party plug-in DLLs

- nPOPw - a freeware POP3/SMTP client from a Japanese author, modified by a British developer for better functionality

- WebIS mail - a multi-function shareware mail client with many other uses (RSS, newsreader, etc.)

- q3mail - similar in some respects to WebIS, this is a multi-function client which is freeware

Browsers:

- Pocket IE - native browser, basic functionality similar to IE4 or 5, optimised for smaller screens, sort of - expandable in functionality using various third-party helpers, such as the freeware ftxPBrowser, the shareware MultiIE, etc.

- NetFront from Access - a rather more powerful Japanese browser, with version 3.4 just announced this week, soon to offer many media-related plugns and better stabilty

- Opera 8.5 - now in public beta, should soon be released and is already finding broad acceptance among users

- Thunderhawk - subscription-based compressed browsing experience, with the developer hosting a media proxy to enable much faster, better fitted to screen web browsing experience

Word processors:

- Pocket Word - the native application which offers a reduced set of Word functionalities compared to the desktop versions, getting better with WM5.0 but still limited

- Notes - another native app, with even fewer functions, but liked by some

- TextMaker from SoftMaker - German-authored power user's word processor, this program puts PC style word processing onto the small screen, making it feasable to write a novel on a PPC if you like, or edit/view many formats of advanced document types (they also offer PlanMaker, bringing similar depth to spreadsheet work, and embarrassing Microsoft's native Pocket Excel application)

- Tillanosoft Notepad - Japanese Notepad clone, very nice little text editor for many formats not using embedded coding (ie; not for RTF, but works great with TXT, INI, HTML, and some other types)

There are a lot of other text editors of course. These are just a few.

Communications tools:

- MSN Messenger - native instant chat/messaging client, similar to PC version but without all the fancy toys

- Microsoft Portrait - VoIP client with video capability, from Microsoft Research China - freeware

- Skype - VoIP client and more from the makers of Kazaa (though Skype was recently sold, I believe)

Media players:

- Pocket TV - free for most device types, this is an MPG file player with good abilities for that one format

- The Core Pocket Media Player (or TCPMP as it's known) - freeware multi-media player capable of handling smoothly the playback of DivX and Xvid AVI video, MPEG of several types, MOV, WMV, whatever... as well as playback of many audio-only formats, and even still images in the latest versions, this is by far the most capable of PPC media programs

- GSPlayer - small and nice freeware multi-format audio player from Japan

Resco's Audio Recorder and Radio applications - record high quality audio in a variety of formats, using the built-in microphone or on some units which allow for it, with attached hardware; Resco Radio allows convenient streaming of a world of web radio stations, with a realtime recordiing function

- Macromedia's Flash plugin - supports Flash embedded in webpages, for use in Pocket IE or NetFront - tools such as FlashBrowser or SWFHT enhance this for local media files

Personal information management - PIM apps:

- native Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and email applications combine to make Pocket Outlook, upon which most third-party PIM apps draw for databases - synching with a PC enables cross-device updating of appointments, contacts, general daytimer stuff

- Pocket Informant - powerful multi-use PIM applicaation

- Agenda Fusion - similarly powerful add-on PIM app

- Ulti-Planner - scaled-down PIM add-on which performs as well as many of the big boys

- apMemo - a small scribble-pad which houses simple appointment reminder tools to enhance scribbled notes

Games:

There are thousands and thousands of these, ranging from simple bubble-popping and card shuffling nonsense to the advanced frst person shooter and adventure classics, such as Doom, Quake, Myst, etc.

Readers:

- uBook - very flexible eBook reader which can format RTF, HTML, PDB, and some other formats into very readable presentations - skinnable for day or night reading, lots of user options

- Repligo Reader - requires PC-based document reformatting, but a well-liked reader

- Adobe Acrobat for PPC - PDF viewer

- xPDF - another PDF reader

- Microsoft Reader - native application for reading LIT files, secure or not

File management:

- File Explorer - the native app; not very good, but quick and easy to use

- Resco Explorer - complexly talented file management tools, including network drive mapping, integrated (seamless, really) ZIP archives with hard passwording security, uncompressed password protection of files, FTP client for web-based file transfers, registry editor, multi-format file viewer integration

- TotalCommanderCE - freeware offering much of Resco's functionality, but not all

- PocketRAR - freeware RAR archive manager

- XacRett - Russian freeware mult-format compressed archive extractor (does about a dozen different types well)

- FtpView, and the shareware version SuperExplorer - two-paned drag and drop file manager and FTP client

That's a small start. There are well over 10,000 programs for the platform. You need only look online, use a search engine to find virtually any functionality you need on your device, and the application probably exists. Hardware drivers are still slow in being developed, largely because the market does not yet justify their development, so there are no CD or DVD running applications for instance. FieldSoftware, Bachmann Software, and HP all make printing applications, for use with Bluetooth, Infrared, or networked printers.

With the right device and cables you can perform a surprising number of operations. For instance, I use a Toshiba e800. With the USB Presentation Pack (came with my European model, the device and accessories costing $270 USD new from an eBay store) I can plug in a Motorola phone and use it as a modem, thanks to a freeware driver and application called 232USB. I can also run my 40GB external hard drive, so long as I power the drive separately (the PPC cannot supply the 5volts needed to spin the drive). I can plug in most any USB memory key. With both CF and SD slots, I can use any number of camera,, network, audio capture, memory, and lots of other expansion hardware components. I use a FlyCam camera, a Symbol 802.11b network card, a number of storage cards. I also use a cheap infrared keyboard from Belkin (cost $30 new on eBay) for all my writing, including this posting. These are essentially little computers, not mere gadgets or toys, and as such there are many, many software and hardware developers working to add to them in functionality.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a school assignment, to answer how many programs will run on a Pocket PC? Well, Handango and PocketGear alone offer many thousands of freeware and shareware titles... then there are many, many sites listing applications which are free... If you are asking someone to provide you with the work for your assignment, then I'd suggest that you consider doing the work yourself. That's the only way to actually learn something.

But... I'll throw you a bone and list a few off the top of my head:

Email applications:

- native 'Inbox' program (called 'Messaging' in WM2003SE and later), labelled as tmail.exe in Windows folder - capable of basic POP3/SMTP messaging and IMAP as well, and HTTP-based email (such as Hotmail) using one of several third-party plug-in DLLs

- nPOPw - a freeware POP3/SMTP client from a Japanese author, modified by a British developer for better functionality

- WebIS mail - a multi-function shareware mail client with many other uses (RSS, newsreader, etc.)

- q3mail - similar in some respects to WebIS, this is a multi-function client which is freeware

Browsers:

- Pocket IE - native browser, basic functionality similar to IE4 or 5, optimised for smaller screens, sort of - expandable in functionality using various third-party helpers, such as the freeware ftxPBrowser, the shareware MultiIE, etc.

- NetFront from Access - a rather more powerful Japanese browser, with version 3.4 just announced this week, soon to offer many media-related plugns and better stabilty

- Opera 8.5 - now in public beta, should soon be released and is already finding broad acceptance among users

- Thunderhawk - subscription-based compressed browsing experience, with the developer hosting a media proxy to enable much faster, better fitted to screen web browsing experience

Word processors:

- Pocket Word - the native application which offers a reduced set of Word functionalities compared to the desktop versions, getting better with WM5.0 but still limited

- Notes - another native app, with even fewer functions, but liked by some

- TextMaker from SoftMaker - German-authored power user's word processor, this program puts PC style word processing onto the small screen, making it feasable to write a novel on a PPC if you like, or edit/view many formats of advanced document types (they also offer PlanMaker, bringing similar depth to spreadsheet work, and embarrassing Microsoft's native Pocket Excel application)

- Tillanosoft Notepad - Japanese Notepad clone, very nice little text editor for many formats not using embedded coding (ie; not for RTF, but works great with TXT, INI, HTML, and some other types)

There are a lot of other text editors of course. These are just a few.

Communications tools:

- MSN Messenger - native instant chat/messaging client, similar to PC version but without all the fancy toys

- Microsoft Portrait - VoIP client with video capability, from Microsoft Research China - freeware

- Skype - VoIP client and more from the makers of Kazaa (though Skype was recently sold, I believe)

Media players:

- Pocket TV - free for most device types, this is an MPG file player with good abilities for that one format

- The Core Pocket Media Player (or TCPMP as it's known) - freeware multi-media player capable of handling smoothly the playback of DivX and Xvid AVI video, MPEG of several types, MOV, WMV, whatever... as well as playback of many audio-only formats, and even still images in the latest versions, this is by far the most capable of PPC media programs

- GSPlayer - small and nice freeware multi-format audio player from Japan

Resco's Audio Recorder and Radio applications - record high quality audio in a variety of formats, using the built-in microphone or on some units which allow for it, with attached hardware; Resco Radio allows convenient streaming of a world of web radio stations, with a realtime recordiing function

- Macromedia's Flash plugin - supports Flash embedded in webpages, for use in Pocket IE or NetFront - tools such as FlashBrowser or SWFHT enhance this for local media files

Personal information management - PIM apps:

- native Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and email applications combine to make Pocket Outlook, upon which most third-party PIM apps draw for databases - synching with a PC enables cross-device updating of appointments, contacts, general daytimer stuff

- Pocket Informant - powerful multi-use PIM applicaation

- Agenda Fusion - similarly powerful add-on PIM app

- Ulti-Planner - scaled-down PIM add-on which performs as well as many of the big boys

- apMemo - a small scribble-pad which houses simple appointment reminder tools to enhance scribbled notes

Games:

There are thousands and thousands of these, ranging from simple bubble-popping and card shuffling nonsense to the advanced frst person shooter and adventure classics, such as Doom, Quake, Myst, etc.

Readers:

- uBook - very flexible eBook reader which can format RTF, HTML, PDB, and some other formats into very readable presentations - skinnable for day or night reading, lots of user options

- Repligo Reader - requires PC-based document reformatting, but a well-liked reader

- Adobe Acrobat for PPC - PDF viewer

- xPDF - another PDF reader

- Microsoft Reader - native application for reading LIT files, secure or not

File management:

- File Explorer - the native app; not very good, but quick and easy to use

- Resco Explorer - complexly talented file management tools, including network drive mapping, integrated (seamless, really) ZIP archives with hard passwording security, uncompressed password protection of files, FTP client for web-based file transfers, registry editor, multi-format file viewer integration

- TotalCommanderCE - freeware offering much of Resco's functionality, but not all

- PocketRAR - freeware RAR archive manager

- XacRett - Russian freeware mult-format compressed archive extractor (does about a dozen different types well)

- FtpView, and the shareware version SuperExplorer - two-paned drag and drop file manager and FTP client

That's a small start. There are well over 10,000 programs for the platform. You need only look online, use a search engine to find virtually any functionality you need on your device, and the application probably exists. Hardware drivers are still slow in being developed, largely because the market does not yet justify their development, so there are no CD or DVD running applications for instance. FieldSoftware, Bachmann Software, and HP all make printing applications, for use with Bluetooth, Infrared, or networked printers.

With the right device and cables you can perform a surprising number of operations. For instance, I use a Toshiba e800. With the USB Presentation Pack (came with my European model, the device and accessories costing $270 USD new from an eBay store) I can plug in a Motorola phone and use it as a modem, thanks to a freeware driver and application called 232USB. I can also run my 40GB external hard drive, so long as I power the drive separately (the PPC cannot supply the 5volts needed to spin the drive). I can plug in most any USB memory key. With both CF and SD slots, I can use any number of camera,, network, audio capture, memory, and lots of other expansion hardware components. I use a FlyCam camera, a Symbol 802.11b network card, a number of storage cards. I also use a cheap infrared keyboard from Belkin (cost $30 new on eBay) for all my writing, including this posting. These are essentially little computers, not mere gadgets or toys, and as such there are many, many software and hardware developers working to add to them in functionality.
monaymalik
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for yr concern...
but let me tell u it waz not a skool assign ...
im doing here my BS-CS but since i havnt used pocket pc and dis assign waz basically 2 learn abt that ... i found evrythng abt it on net thru search engines but dint found any interesting article on emailing features so jus post my question here in order to get sum useful info.. n so nyc of u ...

here is one thing more 2 confirm ... which protocols does Poclet PC use ...???
in sum articles it iz written that it uses POP3 and IMAP4 ... but sum articles also mention SMTP ...

Thanx again ...
God Bless U .. bye !!
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POP3 is a receiving protocol. SMTP is a sending protocol. Any POP3 email client is also an SMTP client, to enable outgoing messages.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC FAQ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: