Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone access their NAS from their iPaq?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC FAQ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppravier
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Markino,

Like you I can access the Web and the FTP interfaces of the NAS.
Via these interfaces I can dowlonad files
I can ping it too.

There must be some weird incompatibilities between the SMB protocol of Wince2003SE and these NAS.

I really would like to get this sorted.
I also tried to shared the NAS via a Windows PC without any success unfortunately (when a drive is already a network share you can't unfortunately re-share it...).
markino
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding it quite hard to believe that this doesn't just work - Win Mobile & Win XP are both versions of Windows after all.

There's no way I'm going to rely on having to go through another PC to get at the disk anyway - the whole point for me is to have a music store or server that works when all PC's are off (to save power). I can already play music off the PC's, but I don't want that.

I don't know if you have read this elsewhere, but I saw a (very confident) post on another forum where someone had exactly the same problem, and someone suggested that the line "use spnego = no" had to be added to the smb.conf file on the NSLU2. As far as I know, the only way to change this is by doing something like 'unslinging', so I did. I changed it in the smb.conf file saved, and rebooted. It still didn't work, but when I looked again at the smb.conf file, it had reverted to the original. I haven't yet found out how to make the change 'stick'.
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The functionality you are using to access network drives is based on Netbios. It dates back to the mid 1990s when it was added to DOS to allow users to access a network drive. There have been multiple interations since. In addition there have been security changes that can prevent older clients from having access to a share.

I suspect a new rom update will be required to support the Pocket PC with the NAS. So I suggest that you file a complaint with the NAS vendor and ask them how to resolve it.
http://www.tabletpctalk.com - Get the latest Tablet PC News
http://www.pocketpctalk.com - Get the latest Pocket PC News
http://www.mobilitytalk.com - Quickly view all the Pocket PC & Tablet PC News on one page
markino
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

Okay, I've solved it now (finally). The critical factor was the insertion of the "use spnego = no" line into the Samba config file.

If anyone else is interested in how to do this, I can tell you exactly, although it is fairly complicated. But I'm afraid it will only be relevant to the Linksys NSLU2 NAS (which I have). I don't know if others could work out ways to do the same with different NAS devices, but I doubt it as the firmware & configuration of the device has to be altered so that the Samba configuration file can be edited (running on the attached hard drive rather than in the device itself).

I'm happy now - that pretty much completes my lean mean media machine - an Ipaq streaming media wirelessly via 802.11b off the NAS. All I need is a good set of speakers...
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Please share with us what you changed. Since it's using Samba, the answer applies to all Linux users.
http://www.tabletpctalk.com - Get the latest Tablet PC News
http://www.pocketpctalk.com - Get the latest Pocket PC News
http://www.mobilitytalk.com - Quickly view all the Pocket PC & Tablet PC News on one page
markino
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and find time to do that later today, but the reason it will probably only be useful to NSLU2 users is that I'm not sure any of the other NAS boxes are hackable. Linksys are unusual in that they have released the source code for their boxes (NSLU2 & WRT54G etc), thus allowing people to create alternative firmware.
markino
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here are some instructions to get your Pocket PC seeing the NSLU2 disk (if your problem is similar to mine, you will be able to see the NSLU2 on your network, but you won't be able to access the actual disk - Error58 when you try, I think). These instruction assume you have a Pocket PC and a Windows PC properly connected to your network (if the Pocket PC can see the WinXP PC you are probably okay):

NB this involves altering the firmware of your NSLU2 - if you are uncomfortable with this, or worried about rendering it unusable (which can happen under unusual circumstances, usually not reading the instructions carefully), then GO NO FURTHER!

First, download the Unslung firmware binary (zip file) from here:
http://www.slug-firmware.net/u-dls.php
and unzip.

Second, download the current Linksys firmware from here:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115417109974&packedargs=sku%3D1115416906769&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
and unzip (in case you want to go back to it).

Third, get this tool:
http://www.sercomm.com/web/download.nsf/cd9678c311095856482566a5000aac9e/7f17bf7344cfc12f482566aa00389845/$FILE/Upgrade_207_XP.exe
for RE-flashing your firmware (as you would do to go back to Linksys firmware).

Bookmark this page:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
which is the home of altered firmware for the NSLU2, and full of useful info about how to do this sort of thing. These pages can also tell you most of how to do this if you are not networking with a Windows PC.

Stage 1: Flash your NSLU2 with Unslung firmware.
In the Unslung zip file you will find the binary of the firmware, and a text file (open this in wordpad, not notepad, for formatting & clarity) containing instructions. Basically, you use the 'Update' function in your NSLU2 web management pages and point it to the binary file. My advice is follow the instructions carefully - mistakes can be catastrophic for your NSLU2.

Stage 2: Unsling your NSLU2
This is different to the flashing process, but the instructions (see Stage 1) will guide you through this too. At this stage, you are transferring the NSLU2's operating system onto an attached USB disk, and telling the NSLU2 to work from that instead of from the internal firmware. Again, follow the instructions carefully. Other than that, my only advice here is to ignore the bit in the instructions about using the command line switch to leave passwords as they are - if you do that as a new user you will end up with a disk password which you cannot possibly know, spend a couple of hours wondering what you did wrong, and then have to re-flash and start again. Follow the instructions through to the end, by which time you should still have a working disk attached to your NSLU2 - check this by accessing the disk through your Windows PC, both for normal browsing and through the NSLU2 web management, to make sure it is still seeing the disk okay etc. Incidentally, you should be able to see that the NSLU2 is successfully unslung to the disk, because at the bottom of the web management home page it will say something like "uNSLUng status: Unslung to disk2, /dev/sda1".

Stage 3 (the trickiest bit): Altering your Samba configuration
If you have been able to follow the process up to here, you should now know how to telnet into your NSLU2 - follow the link on your Unslung NSLU2 homepage for 'Manage Telnet', click on 'Enable Telnet', then fire up Hyperterminal (the terminal client incorporated into windows), and make a connection to:
Host Address: [the network ip of your NSLU2]
Port Number: [leave as 23]
Connect Using: TCP/IP (Winsock)
In the terminal window that pops up, use the username/password combination you set up during the Unslinging process to log in.

(Background information: Unfortunately, if you just edit smb.conf, the Samba configuration file, then when you reboot the NSLU2 it will just overwrite the file with the stored version again.)
So, we have to create a script that will run every time the NSLU2 boots to change the smb.conf file. This is done using a (hard work for Windows users) Linux text editor called Vi, which is built into the NSLU2's firmware. You can find out all you need to know about how to control Vi here:
http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/vi.html

To create the script, type the following (without quotes) in the Hyperterminal window at the command prompt:
"vi /unslung/rc.samba"
The terminal window will fill with the blank script document. Type 'i' to put the editor into insert mode. Type the following EXACTLY (I can't emphasis the EXACTLY part enough), everything in between but not including the asterisks:
#! /bin/sh
# /unslung/rc.samba
# Diversion script: to modify the Samba smb.conf file
#
# Reason: to add or change Samba2 config for Pocket PC
#
# Make sure we have a backup copy of /etc/samba/smb.conf
if [ ! -e /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig ]; then
cp -p /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig
fi
#
# Script section to alter Samba config for Pocket PC networking
#
# Check smb.conf for existing 'use spnego' line
# If none present then insert one into [global] section
if ( !(grep "spnego" /etc/samba/smb.conf -q) ) then
sed -i -e 's/\[global\]$/\[global\]\nuse spnego \= no/' /etc/samba/smb.conf
fi
# End of Pocket PC change section
#
# Include other script sections below here
#
return 1

Double & triple-check that what you have typed is the same as the above script.

Hit the [ESCAPE] key to exit insert mode. Type ':w' to save the script. Type ':q' to exit the Vi editor. Close your Hyperterminal window, confirming disconnect.

Stage 4: Reboot your NSLU2
That should be it - after rebooting, your NSLU2 disk should be accessible using your Pocket PC. If not, obviously check each stage has been successful. If you can't find anything wrong, enable telnet on the NSLU2 again (it is disabled again after reboot), telnet in (as detailed above), and type:
"vi /etc/samba/smb.conf"
You will be looking at the actual Samba config file. Check the section at the top entitled [global] for the following line:
"use spnego = no"

If you don't have this line in the file, then you have made a mistake typing in the script above. Exit out of Vi using:
":q"
Type:
"vi /unslung/rc.samba"
to open the script file again, and re-check.

Stage 5: Enjoy

PS. There is still the problem of having to re-enter the access password every time the Pocket PC is power-cycled, though.
BMboomer
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Markino
Thanks for taking the trouble to post the instructions for modifying the smb.conf file on the nslu2.
I am trying to access my nslu2 shares with a Dell Axim x51v, upgraded to WM 6. I have Resco file explorer installed, and the File explorer Network Plugin (great for mapping network drives).
Mine was unslung allready, so I was halfway there, and your guide has got me showing "use spnego = no" when I vi the smb.conf file
The nslu2 is showing up in the "map network connections" page of the Network Plugin.
It was showing before the smb.conf mod. now when I double tap it I get a user name/password box,as I do for the PC's on the network.
I wasn,t getting that for the nslu2 before the mod
With the PC's I just OK it (without entering username/password), and then I can see and map the shares.
With the nslu2, it still won't show the shares when I do that.
I've tried admin/admin, guest/admin, and tried changing the nslu2 to no password using the web interface, but I still can't see those shares.
I feel like I,m nearly there,but am still missing something, and any advice to get over this last hurdle would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC FAQ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: