Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to decode file!!!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> AirScanner Mobile Encrypter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feygirrl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Unable to decode file!!!! Reply with quote

I have been using this product since last June with no problems but now, I can't decrypt a rather important file because it says I am using the wrong password. I have been encrypting and decrypting this particular file since I installed this product and while I may have entered in an incorrect password, I doubt that. Do I have any options at all? I sent an email to support but they want the purchase order number which I no longer have. I provided them with my name and order date but I don't know if that is good enough.
air1
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, hi,

Sorry for the delay. I guess we didn't understand your purchase order number when you sent it in. I'm sorry about that.

There are no backdoors to the encryption program. If you forget the program, neither you nor anyone else will be able to decrypt the file.

This is important for security reasons. I'm sorry about the lost password. I personally forget all my passwords...so I solved this by keeping them all in an encrypted file at a physically secure, off-line location, with one master password.

Sometimes the password will come back into your mind in a few days if you don't think about it.

Would it help in the future if there was a password hint feature? Note that such a feature could potentially weaken your security, though.

Sorry!
feygirrl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: I was afraid of that! Reply with quote

I actually do know my password but I have an IPAQ h4350 with an integrated keyboard which is how I do most input..

I think what happened is that at some point, when I was entering my password, I must have hit the shift key and/or CAPS key which changed upper case to lower case and numbers to symbols.

At what point I don't know and since the password characters are asterisked as you type them, I didn't know about the mix up. So I have a gazillion possible scenarios to try to work through.

It would be helpful to be able to see the actual password as it is being typed... but I guess that would weaken the security too. Would be a nice option though.
air1
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

We have a version in alpha testing that has encrypted volumes and files/folders, all of which can be automatically logged into via a one-time master password. And you have to reenter the password twice to change it.

It also includes a secure file-wiper/shredder.

We'll be announcing the beta version via our mailing list soon.

Again, I'm sorry about that!
feygirrl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

I'll look forward to the enhancements..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> AirScanner Mobile Encrypter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: