Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

INFO: List of apps that have been tested w/ PocketDOS v1.09
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-PDA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Sim City Reply with quote

For those of you disliking Sim City in monochrome mode, there is a revised version of Sim City called "Sim City Classic" which works in MCGA mode. I do not have my PDA anymore, but when I did I had this game working (without plugins), it was a tad slow but then my PDA wasn't the best.
2disbetter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Wizardry 7!!! Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Working:
DarkSun series
Wasteland

Not working:
Wizardry 7 (instantly reboots PocketDOS with any cpu/fpu plugin)

Voltor wrote:
Working:
Goblins (part 1&2) without plugins.
Magic Carpet
Ufo: Enemy unknown

How you make it run Ufo: Enemy unknown? Mine (with a bochs cpu plugin) just hangs on a black screen. Sad

hi! Wizardry 7 is the main reason why I bougth pocketDos. I didn't get it to work at first, until I foudn out that even with EGA emulation forced in settings you still had to manually do this.

Heres how I got it to work perfectly (minus sound unless you like the pc speaker hacked sounds).

The first thing you need to do is make sure EGA emulation is checked, if it wasn't restart pocketdos. After that you need to run a program that doesn't detect if you have VGA or EGA cards, it just trys to run it. I found that Spider man (Spidey) does this very easily, becuase when the game first starts up it give you the option to pick VGA. When you do Spidey will start to play just exit from the main menu.

Now you need to go to the Dsavant directory (it is important that you have it in this directory as it is the default for the installtion program, which you can change if you choose, but for simplicity we'll assume you didn't), and type vinstall. This will run the installation program for Wizardry 7. It should already have VGA set up for you as the options on video, and you should disable sound. It is very annoying trust me. After those two things are done, go to config only. click enter, and then it will exit saying that you have successfully installed wizardry 7.

After your back at the dos prompt you would type wizardry and it takes off from there. I assumed that you are using the re-released version of the game, but am pretty sure any other version would be like this.

I really hope you get it working... that game is probably one the greatest RPGs of all time. I have been enjoying it for the past 3 days. I still can't believe I'm playing it on a palm.

Good luck!
2disbetter
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Wizardry 6 Reply with quote

Wizardry 6 (bane of the cosmic forge) works perfectly as well.

I have as of yet tried running these in MS-DOS 6.22. I just got dos installed and am playing around with it now, I also got windows 3.1 to run without mouse. Pretty cool. Very nice programming on the part of the pocketdos developers. This stuff is amazing. One thing though, do not attempt to multi-task (alt-tab) as this will seriously cause some memory issues, and the only way to fix it is to hard reset.

Im sure these would run in a real ms-dos enviroment but configuring the memory correctly through the config.sys files is just too long ago for me to remember. Hahaha. I remember spending hour trying to free up enough of the 640 ram.

Windows has made us all lazy. Smile

Oh one other thing. Always trying running any game without a cpu plugin. Most games for dos never tested for the processor. However, a good rule of thumb is if they test for high memory then they will test for the cpu.

Both Wizardry 6 and 7 run without the plug-in.

Last edited by 2disbetter on Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Deep MC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Master of Orion and Master of Magic is working fine !
For use with DOSBOX or BOCHS plug-in, you need install a correct LIM EMS emulator. Many of this emulators and simulators (EMM386.EXE of MS-DOS or PC-DOS) don't work (because PocketDOS LIM EMS 3.2 driver always present in a conventional memory. and EMM386 incorrectly interpret PocketDOS BIOS A20 memory line for normal emulate and work with DOS INT67h..). Other EMM's (free-dos or caldera's EMM386) work, but have several bug's. This drivers understand A20 line and correct emulate Expanded memory from Extended Memory (with more than 64 handles and right page frame address) but this drivers fail with many errors, and not full compatible with PocketDOS. Only EMM286.EXE driver work's fast and work's fine, but he is incompatible with PocketDOS UMB driver Sad
I'm find compatible driver UMB_EMS.SYS (with UMB_DRV.SYS) to work with PocketDOS. UMB_EMS must be load to high memory. Main page frame of EMS driver-emulator must be higher C400 and lower EBFF. I disable shadowing for A000-C3FF and disable shadowing BIOS-devices range (FE00 and higher), and i/m use chipset-trend UMB_DRV utility. This utility must be load first in CONFIG.SYS, then you must add DOS=high(low), and then add device=himem.sys, the add other devices (UMB_EMM too)
A MoM and MoO games still full playable, but slowest.

2) For use master of Magic and Master of Orion WITHOUT any plug-ins, you need install LIN EMS emulator, which emulate Expanded memory from free HDD space. I try for use Turbo EMS-emulator and configure it for 64 handles (minimum value!) and 170 pages. Master of Magic and Master of Orion is a playable, but they are always swapping to/from HDD, then main speed of the games is slower
I'm try dump main memory and look and disassemble emsmem.sys. This is not a normal EMS driver. PocketDOS EMS driver always present in memory. EMSMEM.SYS is a group of residents, which control irq and i/o for DOS-programs.
Real EMS driver of PocketDOS have 3.2 version of LIM EMS spec. and have maximum 6 handles and have bad page frame segment address /EC00/ Sad
My favorite games work slow with nice PocketDOS program Sad
For comfort game you must be try DOSBOX for PPC.

..and we are waiting next release of PocketDOS! Smile In this release PocketDOS developers upgrade LIM EMS driver from 3.2 to 4.0! May be he is allow control ours to change page frame address and number of handles Smile for right use.

Best regards!
Menneisyys
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished testing Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers Get All the Girls ( http://www.goodolddays.net/index.php?args=0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;en;0;319;show;1;spellcasting; ) under the emulator on my (VGA) Pocket Loox 720. Only works in (Hi-Res) CGA. Have tested all the available VGA display modes, but in vain - it just freezes at the color animation.
Guy1731
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Flight simulator Reply with quote

Also working: Abrams battle tank

Anyone able t help make work these games:

- flight simulator 5.0
- M1 tank platoon

Thanks!
ddaavvee72

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may already be known but I thought I would post it in case its not
Working
Star Control 1 and 2
SC 2 is really too slow to play, but it does run, SC1 works great
ddaavvee72

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zdisbetter I just want to thank you for showing me how to play wizardry 6 and 7 on PocketDos. I have been wanting to play both of these on it ever since I bought the game! I am so excited. Oh I forgot to mention in my last post:
Working: Tunnels and Trolls
dsteele
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Numerical application - Matlab Reply with quote

Hi

I have Pocket DOS running on SPV M2000.

Matlab version 1 runs OK (e.g.)

http://www.simtel.net/product.php[id]47734[sekid]0[SiteID]simtel.net

Surprising what calculations that version can do.

Matlab on a Pocket PC !

Douglas
dsteele
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better is a much later version 3.5 (student edition so limited to matrices of 1024 elements, which is not bad though)

http://www.pc-ephone.com.au/util.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the latest version of PocketDOS but still cannot get CCH3 to work. It is a very good chess program. PocketDOS have it running for a few minutes and the program then freeze. Did anyone tried this and am I missing some configuration that needs to be done ?

Best regards
A.A.Z.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to PocketDOS developers, it's a great idea to make a DOS emulator on PocketPC! I have only one question now: how can I run Across (Elastomania running under DOS mode) on my PPC? I've tried WMFPUEMU i80387 FPU, Bochs i80486DX CPU, DOSBox i80486SX CPU, but there always was an error 'DOS16M error: [15] protected mode available only with 386 or 486'. Does it mean that it's not runable? Rolling Eyes

PS
I have plugged in those 3 plug-ins by 2 different ways: just copying them (one by one) in the PocketDOS's folder (for example, \Program Files\PocketDOS\PDOS_DOSBOX_CPU.DLL) or copying and renaming them to PDOS???CPU.DLL (for example, \Program Files\PocketDOS\PDOS486CPU.DLL). Was that the right way to do it or I've made as usual =) a mistake? Rolling Eyes

PPS
I'm sorry about my bad english, I'm from Russia =)
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

After copying the plug-in files to the PocketDOS program folder, you will need to select the plug-in from the list displayed in the "Settings->System->CPU/FPU" menu item in PocketDOS.

Thank you for your interest.
A.A.Z.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help, but my PocketDOS doesn't see any plug-ins! I tried to copy them in \Program files\PocketDOS\ folder, but the combo box in Settings->System->CPU/FPU is empty! How have I to rename those plug-ins to make them work? Rolling Eyes
2disbetter
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Some more Reply with quote

Don't know if these have been listed yet but here we go...

Games:

-Wings of Fury (awesome game)
-Jill of the Jungle (runs slow, but still runs)
-Street Fighter 2 Turbo (runs pretty good too.. obviously it is a little hard to control though)
-HeroQuest (Really cool game, mouse alignment is off, but is still playable)
-Dugeon Master
-Another World (rather slow but playable)

Applications:

-Windows 3.1 (runs perfect minus mouse... also do not attempt multi-taskings... I think this causes a huge memory allocation error, and for me at least, will not let me use the power button to turn on the device. (only off) Hardware keys will turn it on again and so will removing and re-inserting the sd card back into the slot. The only way i was able to recover from this situation was to hard reset. Still very cool to be able to do this.)

-Borland Turbo C++ v1.01 (runs like a champ, some issues with graphic initalization... but as said before error checking when initalizing just needs to be removed. Do so at your own risk. Twisted Evil )

Main problem with getting most games to run is having enough conviental memory (the 640k block). Things tend run stabler and faster under a true MS-DOS enviroment, but then memory allocation is an issue. I tend to run everything under the pocketdos dos first and then with ms-dos.

Truly amazing program. WORTH EVERY PENNY.

2d
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: