Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPU and FPU plug-ins available for PocketDOS (v1.09.0+)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,

There are various technical limitations in the Windows CE operating system that limit the amount of address space (memory) available to a DLL. To list the plug-in DLLs, PocketDOS must first attempt to load them. If there is not enough address space to load the DLL then it will not be listed in the drop-down list under "Settings->System->CPU/FPU". When experimenting with these plug-ins, you should set the XMS and EMS memory to a minimum (preferably zero initially), or you may run into an address space limitation. We don't recommend an XMS setting of >3Mb for use with the CPU plug-in DLLs. When using XMS or EMS memory, the minimum setting that your application requires to run should be used, not an arbitrary value (like 16Mb), or you will most likely run into problems loading the plug-ins. If PocketDOS fails to start once you have enabled a plug-in, then you may have to delete the plug-in from the PocketDOS folder before you can start PocketDOS again. We will introduce a sanity check in the next release of PocketDOS, that will not allow XMS & EMS memory settings to be set so high that the plug-ins do not load. In the interim, reducing the XMS & EMS memory settings should allow the plug-ins to load.

Thank you for your interest.
clmnw
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PocketDOS wrote:
Dear Sirs,

There are various technical limitations in the Windows CE operating system that limit the amount of address space (memory) available to a DLL. To list the plug-in DLLs, PocketDOS must first attempt to load them. If there is not enough address space to load the DLL then it will not be listed in the drop-down list under "Settings->System->CPU/FPU". When experimenting with these plug-ins, you should set the XMS and EMS memory to a minimum (preferably zero initially), or you may run into an address space limitation. We don't recommend an XMS setting of >3Mb for use with the CPU plug-in DLLs. When using XMS or EMS memory, the minimum setting that your application requires to run should be used, not an arbitrary value (like 16Mb), or you will most likely run into problems loading the plug-ins. If PocketDOS fails to start once you have enabled a plug-in, then you may have to delete the plug-in from the PocketDOS folder before you can start PocketDOS again. We will introduce a sanity check in the next release of PocketDOS, that will not allow XMS & EMS memory settings to be set so high that the plug-ins do not load. In the interim, reducing the XMS & EMS memory settings should allow the plug-ins to load.

That was the explanation and finaly the solution I have been looking for. Thank you very much! It worked for me.
GeorgeL
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear pocketdos programmers,
You must have been crippled bochs project's protected mode functionality!!! Morover CPUID instruction has some problem that I have not investigated. Please, leave bochs protected mode functionality intact regardless of the speed issue. There are numerous cases when one would like to have applications with dos extenders (for instance console applications that do not require speed, win32 pe console applications under hx dos extender, etc. ) running. As long as the speed is equivalent to the lowest 386-16MHz cpu it will be sufficient for many tasks that ran on those cpus. By removing protected mode you simply cut the most of the 386 architecture which by itself is far more than mere 32bit GP registers !!! If you wish you could make one separate full version of bochs plugin. I've skimmed through the api between pocketdos and bochs and found that no none of CR0-CR3, LDTR,IDTR, ТRx registers could be written or read. Only CR0 could be read but not written. You even missed DRx in your api and also maybe you have invented a CR register that does not exist in real cpus...Though there is one catch - SMSW and LMSW instructions still work but there is no sense to use them to enter protected mode since neither GDT nor IDT could be pointed. Also these instructions are mainly used by 286 software to enter/check protected mode. pharlap|286 extender for example.

P.S. Dosbox plugin is not functioning at all so i will not comment on it...
P.P.S It would be nice to port a latest version of bochs, not one that is 2 years (!) old and is with much more bugs.
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

There has been no 'crippling' of the Bochs cpu emulator. It is compiled to emulate a 80486 processor, with minimal changes needed to get it to function as a standalone emulator (you can compare the original Bochs source code with the plug-in source code to see the changes). The plug-in is capable of running proctected mode software with a DOS extender (to test this, you can install and run the game Doom, which runs in protected mode with a DOS extender).

The PocketDOS API is used to call BIOS functions from the CPU emulator. No BIOS functions make use of extended registers and so they do not need to be passed to/from the CPU emulator.

The limitations of running software with the Bochs (or any other CPU emulator) plug-in is that PocketDOS does not implement the BIOS calls necessary for some protected mode functionality (eg. the BIOS call to switch the CPU to protected mode).

The DOSBox CPU plug-in has a bug which causes it to crash in some circumstances when an interrupt occurs while it is in protected mode.

These plug-ins are provided as-is for experimentation purposes, as we do not have the resources available to develop these further. They are open-source and can be modified or improved as necessary. The plug-ins have been designed in such a way that the missing BIOS functionality can be added to the plug-in module if required.

The focus for future development of PocketDOS in this area, is to provide special versions of the Bochs and DOSBox applications which will run under PocketDOS in a VGA console, and so will have the full functionality of the original applications with the PocketDOS user interface and display technology.

GeorgeL
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your prompt reply! In that case it appears that this old version of pocketdpos that you ported for your plugin is so obuggy and old that it cannot handle all of the protected mode applications that i tried...Please, port the latest version of bochs from August 27...I tried this but with no success under my eVC 3.0...Under eVC 4.0+ I can't build even your original plugin...
olddog7
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Euphoria for DOS under PocketDOS Reply with quote

Have been working on doing some prgramming in Euphoria, and would love to be able to work on it while travelling with my Dell Axim X50v.

It uses the Causeway DOS extender under the Watcom compiler.

So far I've been able to get PocketDOS running using the small FreeDOS (for some reason the full one won't boot for me), and using the Bochs plug-in. But when I try to start Euphoria, I get a Causeway Error 09.

If Causeway can't run under PocketDOS, perhaps I could re-compile Euphoria for DOS with the open-source DOS/32 DOS extender, which is supposedly a drop-in replacement for DOS/4G, which is the one used by Doom, I think, which you report runs under PocketDOS.

Am I correct that this may be a possibility? Or am I missing something? If it could work, then I will definitely buy this program.

THanks.
adempozhari
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after unzipig the package PDOS_BOCHS_CPU.zip i got to many PDOS_BOCHS_CPU.dll.which one should i use? thay have diffrent size!
astroraptor
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adempozhari wrote:
after unzipig the package PDOS_BOCHS_CPU.zip i got to many PDOS_BOCHS_CPU.dll.which one should i use? thay have diffrent size!

Chances are you either have a Arm CPU or a MIPS CPU. The other 2 are SuperH-3 and Super-H4 CPU's. So whatever your WM device has as a processor is what you should use. If you don't know what it has as a CPU, consult the manual or the manufacturer's website.
________
vaporizer volcano

Last edited by astroraptor on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
adempozhari
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astroraptor wrote:
adempozhari wrote:

Chances are you either have a Arm CPU or a MIPS CPU. The other 2 are SuperH-3 and Super-H4 CPU's. So whatever your WM device has as a processor is what you should use. If you don't know what it has as a CPU, consult the manual or the manufacturer's website.

My device have Texas Instruments OMAP (TM) processors,TI OMAP 850, 200 MHz.
adempozhari
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind i found that my OMAP is ARM.

here is a good list http://www.calculator.org/devices.html
HATA28
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Cant get the Bochs CPU emulator (x86) to work! If I select it in PocketDOS, and restart PocketDOS the PocketDOS windows will just be black without any words, and I can only shutdown PocketDOS (restart doesn't make sense). Can anyone help me?
sinephase
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any new CPU emulators we can try? Maybe something that better utilizes newer ARM CPU's? I'd like to see a better 486 if at all possible (maybe an updated version from the dosbox one linked to in the initial post?) Thx.
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

All of these plug-ins are unsupported examples (with source code) of how to develop CPU plug-ins for PocketDOS. We develop and provide our own CPU emulator, and so it is up to the user to port other CPU emulators to PocketDOS, or further develop these examples if they have a requirement for another CPU emulator.

sinephase
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PocketDOS wrote:
Dear Sir,

All of these plug-ins are unsupported examples (with source code) of how to develop CPU plug-ins for PocketDOS. We develop and provide our own CPU emulator, and so it is up to the user to port other CPU emulators to PocketDOS, or further develop these examples if they have a requirement for another CPU emulator.

I appreciate the quick reply. You're very good for that and I just want to let you know it's appreciated Smile

I have no idea really about compiling anything for anything, or what file(s) you used for the source of the DOSbox CPU plugin or what compiler, etc. If you could direct me how to do it exactly, I have no problem trying it out to get an updated version of the plugin.

What I was asking is if there's any newer ones available, whether it's from pocketdos or whoever doesn't matter to me, it's hard to find these things just searching google, so that's why I was asking here.
Tenshin_76
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: on my Xperia, itīs even slower! Reply with quote

I have an Xperia, and after downloading the zip file and copying the dll file in the ARM folder, I am able to select the plugin in the Settings-System tab. Ok, everything fine upto there. I try a theoratically semi-powerful dos game like "Another World" which worked fine on my 201 mhz HTC Touch and it runs even SLOWER than if I set cpu to 286!! How can this be? I have EMS and XMS to 4 mb, Write Through Display Mode, Write to Display Memory and all the necessary settings to get PocketDOS to work smoothly. I also run Freedos with it. Most games are pretty fluid (Prince of Persia 1 and 2, Testdrive I and II, any Lucas graphic adventure, etc) but Another World is just painfully slow. I run it disabling audio mode and itīs even slower than setting CPU to 286! Mr. Pocketdos, would you have any idea what Iīm doing wrong and why in general are games slower in Pocketdos than in Dosbox?? All answers appreciated
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: