Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPU and FPU plug-ins available for PocketDOS (v1.09.0+)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Axim x51v running WM5 and I cannot get the DOSBOX plug-in to work (I will try the other one when I get home).

I have put the .dll in the PocketDOS directory and it then appears in the CPU/FPU menu. I select this and then restart PocketDOS. However the games I try still tell me that I need at least an 80386.

I have checked my mem settings and sure enough I have plenty of EMS (currently set to 16M), however even if I delete the .dll or set CPU/FPU to none, I still have this amount of EMS when I reboot.

What am I missing?

Cheers,
Si
mperelman
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: memory in emulators Reply with quote

I installed the emulator. I have it set to give me 2 megs of memory. According to the mem command, it works just fine. But the mem command says that the largest available program size is 500 k and the largest free upper memory block is 111k.

I have the dos program installed on an SD disk. It runs fine if I put the sd disk in a laptop, but it does not recognize the higher memory in my Ipaq.

Any suggestions?
mperelman
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: memory in emulators Reply with quote

I set the system to give me a couple megs of expanded memory. The mem command indicates that it works, but that the largest executable program size is 594,224 bytes. How can that be increased?

Also, when will the new December version of pocketdos appear?
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

Expanded (EMS) memory needs specific support from the application before it can be used. It is worth consulting online sources to give you a better idea of what conventional, expanded (EMS) and extended (XMS) memories are and how they can be used in a DOS environment. You can increase the amount of available memory in DOS by configuring PocketDOS to run in CGA as opposed to VGA mode.

We are currently working on the next release of PocketDOS, which will be a major release due to us redesigning and rewriting large portions of the emulator. This version (2.0) will be available "when it's ready". While we do hope for a December release, it is probably more realistic to expect this sometime in January.

Thank you for your custom.
tbob14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried all three of those plug-in's (seperately), but I cannot get any of them to emulate a 486..

The EMS is detecting correctly, but MSD and apps still say it is a 80186.. Any ideas?
gremlin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i copied the DLL files into the directory where pocketdos is stored, but when i run it, pocketdos doesnt even see the dll file at all
Pun
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I am having the same problem: when I copy my "PDOS_BOCHS_CPU.dll" to the pocketdos executable folder, pocketdos just says "<No plug-ins avalible>". It is the only file in that dirrectory (aside from the exe of cource).
clmnw
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Same problem Reply with quote

Pun wrote:
I am having the same problem: when I copy my "PDOS_BOCHS_CPU.dll" to the pocketdos executable folder, pocketdos just says "<No>". It is the only file in that dirrectory (aside from the exe of cource).

yes I am having the same problem as well... I have paid for the PocketDOS so hoped that it will work but ... no CPU/FPU is visible under the plugins tab, although the DLL is there.

Using Dell x51v / Windows Mobile 5, latest PocketDos 1.11

All is installed under the main drive (not on CF/SD)

Any ideas.. maybe some support from the Administartor?
froes
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Same problem Reply with quote

clmnw wrote:
Pun wrote:
I am having the same problem: when I copy my "PDOS_BOCHS_CPU.dll" to the pocketdos executable folder, pocketdos just says "<No>". It is the only file in that dirrectory (aside from the exe of cource).

yes I am having the same problem as well... I have paid for the PocketDOS so hoped that it will work but ... no CPU/FPU is visible under the plugins tab, although the DLL is there.

Using Dell x51v / Windows Mobile 5, latest PocketDos 1.11

All is installed under the main drive (not on CF/SD)

Any ideas.. maybe some support from the Administartor?

It seams that it comes because the plugins are for version 1.09 but the current PocketDOS release is 1.11.

It's very pity that noone from PocketDOS answers the newer questions.
I would buy PocketDOS with a working 486 support, but without? No chance!

Shine On, Frank
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

The CPU plug-in modules are unsupported 3rd party open source modules which are provided for use with PocketDOS. They do not form part of the product and should not be evaluated as part of any purchase decision. There are multiple factors which limit the usability of these modules and they have not been tested at all under Windows Mobile 5.0. The plug-ins are designed to be used with any version of PocketDOS from v1.09 onwards. Please read this entire message thread and use the search feature of this forum to find more information regarding PocketDOS and >80186 CPU emulation.

Thank you for your interest.
froes
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PocketDOS wrote:

The CPU plug-in modules are unsupported 3rd party open source modules which are provided for use with PocketDOS. They do not form part of the product and should not be evaluated as part of any purchase decision.

Dear Mr. PocketDOS,
I turned PocketDos back to version 1.10.
Btw.: The installation did not work so I used the unpacked 1.11 and copied all files from 1.10 over it.
With the so installed 1.10 I got the plugins running.
So I believe it's not a question of the internal code and compatibility with WM5, but a question of the DLL interface what was changed according to version 1.11 by any reason so the old plugins were not recognized by PocketDos.

Even if I don't have protected mode support with PocketDos I won't buy it. It doesn't matter me, if it's a part of the product or not.
I think the better product philosophy would be to make the PocketDos CPU plugin part of the product, so you can say PocketDos supports CPUs up to 80486. Thats simply a marketing question.

I'm currently using DosBox what works, but without the opportunity of a graphical UI for settings and options and the need of massive experiments with the settings.
With PocketDos the settings are much easier.

Thanks and Shine On,
Frank
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

We will investigate this issue and try to find a solution. The reason why we cannot include any of these CPU modules as part of the PocketDOS product is due to their GPL (open source) licensing. In addition, they run x86 code several orders of magnitude slower than our own CPU emulator and significantly (at least 50x) slower than a real 80486. They therefore have little practical use.

clmnw
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PocketDOS wrote:
Dear Sir,

We will investigate this issue and try to find a solution. The reason why we cannot include any of these CPU modules as part of the PocketDOS product is due to their GPL (open source) licensing. In addition, they run x86 code several orders of magnitude slower than our own CPU emulator and significantly (at least 50x) slower than a real 80486. They therefore have little practical use.

we are happy about your speed and performance, though some software just require to have a 486 / mpu, can you just provide internal mpu and 'lie' about '486', just to allow such software to pass?
froes
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. PocketDos,

PocketDOS wrote:
We will investigate this issue and try to find a solution.
This sounds even better.
PocketDOS wrote:
The reason why we cannot include any of these CPU modules as part of the PocketDOS product is due to their GPL (open source) licensing.
Sorry I forgot that. So you only could provide it for free, what reduces your commercial interest.
An example like the PocketDos "own" plugin would show others how the modifactions have to be made to work with version 1.11.
PocketDOS wrote:
In addition, they run x86 code several orders of magnitude slower than our own CPU emulator and significantly (at least 50x) slower than a real 80486. They therefore have little practical use.
This doesn't matter. One of my applications asking for protected mode run on a 20 MHz 486 (and slower) and I have a 512 MHz pocket pc, what should be sufficient, like DosBox 0.63 showed it to me.

Thanks in advance and Shine On, Frank
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

The plug-ins are provided with source code as examples of how to develop plug-ins. If the existing plug-ins do not work in some cases with v1.11, then that is a bug in v1.11 that needs to be corrected. There has been no change to the plug-in interface since it was introduced with v1.09.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: