Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survey: What new features would you like to see in a future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,

The next major release of PocketDOS is a rewrite of large parts of the emulator. What we are enabling with that release is the ability to use plug-ins for almost every aspect of the emulated PC hardware. This will allow us and 3rd parties to port OpenSource hardware emulations to the PocketDOS device model, as well as allowing developers to provide custom hardware emulation that may be necessary for their projects. As there are several OpenSource emulations of SoundBlaster hardware, it should be relatively simple to add SoundBlaster emulation to PocketDOS once this rewrite is completed.

The next major release of PocketDOS will also open the PocketDOS console to be used for Windows CE ports of Win32 console and DOS text & VGA applications. This will allow DOS VGA applications (eg. games) to be ported to Windows CE relatively easily. We will also most likely provide versions of the Bochs & DosBox emulators that use the PocketDOS VGA console for input handling and display output, which should make these emulators much more usable under Windows CE.

Thank you for your interest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really look forward to the next major release. Makes me glad I purchased it. Two questions though. Do you see a release to take advantage of the more powerfull Xscale processor and will pocketdos-dosbox addons still work on a QVGA (320*240) screen for playing video games?
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

We have experimented with various XScale compilers and have found that the version that we're currently shipping runs the best on those processors. Of course, we will re-evaluate this before the next release of PocketDOS.

The PocketDOS VGA console, which will be used for ports of programs like DosBox, will allow all of the video modes to run on all displays (much like the current version of PocketDOS). You can even run a 640x480x256 colour screen mode on a 200x200x4 greyscale display.

Thank you for your custom.
Guest01162006

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: New Feature Request Reply with quote

Windows Mobile 5 support for Pocket PC. I got the latest (1.102) version installed but it seemed to have numerous issues under WM5 making it unuseable.

I have also tried using the CE 4.2 version and it is completely unuseable on a PPC (IMHO) due to lack of on screen keyboard support etc.
Einis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would like to see is that freaking Symbian port!
Cant get XTM to work with 9300 so maybe this will be the answer Smile
And if it runs well, I wont hesitate to spend some money to get full product.
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Feature Request Reply with quote

Guest01162006 wrote:
Windows Mobile 5 support for Pocket PC. I got the latest (1.102) version installed but it seemed to have numerous issues under WM5 making it unuseable.

I have also tried using the CE 4.2 version and it is completely unuseable on a PPC (IMHO) due to lack of on screen keyboard support etc.

Dear Sir,

If you could detail some of the problems you are having under Windows Mobile 5.0, then we could probably resolve them in the next release. We are only aware of one issue where PocketDOS might exit unexpectedly when running with direct screen access enabled on some WM5 devices.

The CE 4.2 version you refer to is not designed to run on a Pocket PC, it is designed to run on custom CE 4.2 platforms. The standard install of PocketDOS contains a version that is designed to run on Windows Mobile 2003 (aka. CE 4.2 with Pocket PC shell).

Thank you for your interest.
PPC ME
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Save PocketDOS state Reply with quote

[quote="ddaavvee72"]Just about every other emulator I use has the ability to take snapshots of the game and save them as states. I can then start a game from that point using the state that I saved. Why doesn't PocketDOS already have this feature?[/quote]

[quote="X-Phile"]2) Creating of snapshot(s) of emulator's current state (like hibernate on Win2k+) - we can use this as saves on games without saving option and this will speed up first startup of DOS (we can write it to snapshot)[/quote]

I have to agree with the previous posters. The NUMBER ONE greatest feature you could add would be a way to save a snapshot of what's in RAM, and then be able to load it directly into RAM the next time you start PocketDOS, thereby avoiding the whole boot-up sequence.

I've come to realize that as much fun as it is playing the old DOS games on PocketDOS, the one thing that keeps me from doing it more often is the time it takes to get to the game. For instance, some games like Ultima VII play at a fine speed, but will take 15 minutes to boot up DOS, start the program, and load a saved game.

Saving PocketDOS states as recommended by ddaavvee72 and X-Phile would solve this problem and make the program that much more convenient!

Other than that of course, it's a perfect program! Smile
larsdennert
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to be able to see the current text input mode selected for smartphone. IE abc 123 alt t9. On the Q I constantly have to push the function key to switch modes because they don't stick and I never know which mode I'm in. On a ten key smartphone it might be less of an issue and the automatic text mode changes might make sense there due to the keyboard layout but the Q has a full keyboard and it gets confusing.

You could squeeze the indicator on the right soft key's Menu indicator since it is relatively unused.

Interestingly, when I'm at a direct command line type mode some symbols from the keyboard don't post such as a . period. Instead I have to go to input bar mode. Curious.
ILikeInfo
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my own developement purposes, I'd like to see Sockets support. Perhaps implemented by duplicating Datalight's socket functions as the abstraction into the native calls.

Thanks
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Ant

Post Better sound... Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Better sound support even if Ad-lib - just better than PC Speaker..

Regards..
30 May 2007 11:29 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
george

Post Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I'd also like to see sound blaster emulation. But you'll have to make DMA controller emulation first. Look at your free dosbox alternative for pocketpc - it has much better and accurate PC/AT emulation plus sound blaster. The only think that I miss there is screen zoom...It would be nice to make plug-ins not only as CPU emulators but as a whole platform modules. Thus your pocketdos would gain DMA,sound card and full VGA emulation preserving your superiour user interface...
06 Jun 2007 04:28 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mirekluza

Post Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Mouse emulation by keyboard (see n0p port of DOSBOX) would be nice.

Mirek
dr_mabuse
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundblaster / covox speechthing support Very Happy
LoOZR37
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: V for Victory Reply with quote

Dear Dr. PocketDos,

one thing I would be DYING to have :

On DosBox V for Victory works perfectly. The game displays in 640 x 480 however, so the small text is unreadable and the game is therefore unplayable.

In PocketDos, the screens in V4V are scrambled because PocketDos doesn't know yet how to handle 640 x 480 reolutions on a small screen.

So what I would like to see :
1) V 4 Victory works
2) Some kind of magnifying function that you activate by pressing a hardware button. With the stylus you can click/drag on the region that you would like to see magnified (popular applications use this technique also).

I think this would be a great way to extend the life of PocketDos because this would extend the list of playable games for PocketDos.

Just my two pence...

But I sincerely hope you give it some thought... Very Happy
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

We will investigate these issues and try to incorporate fixes for them in the next release of PocketDOS.

Thank you for your input.
waveletzhang
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear PocketDOS:
After a trail of new release 1.12.2, the overall user experience of 1.12.2 is not as better as 1.12.1 due to frequent input mode switching (normal input to scroll to mouse...), but the idea of using function keys (Vol +/-) is really great! Some suggestions
1. Switch scroll direction by holding another key, e.g. scrolling screen left/right via a Vol +/- key, and scrolling screen up/down via Vol plus Left Softkey.
2. Enhance mouse simulation via touchscreen, e.g. use single touch to move the mouse to the position of click and left click; holding touch to send right click.
3. Support mapping to mouse button, as what supported in 1.12.1.

Have a nice day.
confident
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Nice sound. Reply with quote

I think above all the feature I would like to see most is adlib/soundblaster support for some of my favorite games. I think it is what seems to be missing most from the whole experiance. You have done an excellent job thus far but if you could add Adlib/SB support it would really be adding a whole dimension to the emulation.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: