Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survey: What new features would you like to see in a future
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Survey: What new features would you like to see in a future Reply with quote

Dear PocketDOS users,

Subject says it all. Please detail any new features you'd like to see in PocketDOS in this thread, and we'll consider them for the next release.

Thank you for your input.

------------------
PocketDOS - An MS-DOS 6.22 compatible DOS for your Pocket Computer.
http://www.pocketdos.com

Last edited by PocketDOS on Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Plain ol' me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's been said before, but 286/386 support is the number one wish on my list! Following close behind would be SoundBlaster support.

My third wish would be as follows:

I've noticed that with some graphic games (e.g. Loom), the mouse isn't "lined up" properly with the input. In other words, if I click in the middle of the screen, the game might register that I've clicked a fixed distance to the left...that sort of thing.

I don't know the best way to fix this. Is there a mouse calibration program that might be included? Or is it a problem that could be fixed within the core PocketDOS code? This would be my third wish list entry.

With or without this, it's still an awesome program!
Demeter
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

My name is Dimitrios kalfakis and I have
written to you before (two or three times)about the mathcad2.4 problem with pocketDOS.
You guys solved the menu highlight problem
with the latest release but the trailing
prompt cursor problem REMAINS! I would like
to see that fixed!
An essential feature that you could add to the emulator is floating point support through a driver specifically made for pocketDOS. I have tried a couple of other DOS emulators that worked well with PCs and helped me run matlab2.0 but with no success.
Also, if you speed up the graphics engine a
little then we could also enjoy sound blaster
(or even adlib would do) emulation without
noticeable degradation of performance. My
Jornada 720 runs the mathcad scripts about
50% faster than my HP200lx machine but when it comes to games it is SEVERAL times slower
despite the tips you offer for direct screen
draw etc.
I hope that you will take into account my
suggestions.

A semi-happy user of pocketDOS Wink
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

The mouse "problem" you mention with "Loom", can be solved by enabling/disabling the "Scale mouse column in lores modes" option from the "Settings->Mouse->Options" menu item in PocketDOS.

------------------
lbass
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VGA support would really be nice. I would like to run Generic Cadd on an iPAQ but the CGA screen makes this difficult.
ronaldace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something good would be SoundBlaster support, or maybe at least something that makes the games believe here is Soundblaster even if there is no sound.

286/386 support would also be very appreciated.
Dae
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I've said before, soundblaster support isn't too big of a deal to me. Besides, the games pocketdos emulates had the worst sounds effects/music to them and emulating sound would just slow things down.

I would like to see continued work on combatibility issues, maybe some work arounds to get some of the titles that "half run" to work properly. ie Stronghold (SSI), Wastelands (EA).

There was also talk a while back about some special mode VGA or something. If this is used in Pools of Darkness (SSI) and Dark Queen of Krynn (SSI) (both VGA titles that should run on pocketdos), then implimenting it might be worthwhile in opening up a few more titles.

chacha2000
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimization for Intel Xscale processors should be important for Ipaq users; all the handhelds of the new series include such processors.
addn
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. consider the pocketdos program and it's future versions as consisting of not only the program itself, but also the documentation, and even it's support, such as this forum
. when responding to this forum, I would appreciate it if pocketdos would provide documentation of all advice and information;
eg,
<advice on how to use safemode>--this info can be found in the online help
or
< advice > --this info is not yet documented in the online help but a search of <applicable newsgroup link> should provide further insight

. I would also appreciate it if the software links such as to dr dos were updated (it took a lot of time to find a site that actually provides this instead of a dead link! --I did find a hopeful at
[ google( bootdisk dr dos)-> www.bootdisk.com -> ]
http://www.oldstuff.myagora.net/powerload/bootdisk.htm

, but haven.t tried to install the downloads yet) .
--teach a guy to fish, and you might spend less time fishing for others!

[This message has been edited by addn (edited July 15, 2003).]

wolf1
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see better compatibility too, such as with Wasteland. It seems to have the correct requirements to run under PocketDOS, but it does not.
TBOMB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As several others have mentioned, my first wish on the list is a faster proc emulation at least 386 or better still the 486. Second, vga support. Third, soundblaster support. fourth, xscale optimization, and finaly USB host support (keyboard and mouse, see below).
The fact that we are running DOS (and windows 3)on a PDA is great and extremely helpful for my apps. The fact that it's an 80186 on a 400mhz xscale, pc speaker on a system with full stereo sound, cga graphics on a 65,000 color display, no "network" (for application internet access) and limited mouse support seems a little odd to me. I do like the bluetooth and com support though. That's nice. But I wonder if we can perhaps use the serial cable for a mouse or use a USB host CF card for usb mouse AND external keyboard. The fact that it's DOS means most of us will be doing a lot more typing and an external keyboard would be nice.
Just my thoughts and wishes.
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

As of PocketDOS v1.07.3, it has been possible for third-party developers to develop add-ons for PocketDOS. There is a "packet" driver available for PocketDOS that allows DOS network applications to use one of the available network connections on the device. This driver has been tested successfully with Datalight Sockets and various DOS network utilities. This driver is available from:
http://www.danlan.com

------------------
Tnygaard
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Features:

1) More speed

2) Ability to change font size within running DOS program using your API

3) Ability to turn toolbar ON/OFF within running DOS program using your API

4) Ability to call CE 32bit DLL's from DOS (if that is possible)
GeorgeL
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to support teledisk diskette images in order to work with copy protected diskettes. This will allow for instance to use pocketdos to update monthly database of bendix king GPS units conveniently without the need of large notebook pc. Of course rs232 emulation must be "purified" but this could be tested after teledisk images are supported.
Also as you promised it would be an advantage to add HMA emulation, also to correct 80186 emulation regarding SS change and interrupts/traps acknowledgemnt as we spoke.8087 emulation would be nice. 32 bit 80386 real mode instruction emulation would be a plus to run good 80387 emulators and other real mode soft. You can set pocket dos CPU to be in V86 mode thus programs won't try to enter protected mode with mov cr0,... or lmsw instructions. I have other ideas but my post becomes too long...
MatsW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) VGA compatibility:
I have DOS programs that won't run in pocketdos because they expect VGA.

(2) Ability to change mouse driver. The driver now installed is not compatible with one of my DOS programs. But I can't install another mouse driver because I cannot remove the already installed one.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: