Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Phone 7 versus Windows Mobile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swittels
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Windows Phone 7 versus Windows Mobile Reply with quote

I found this comment about the two OS's:

In a lot of ways, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 7 are complete opposites (by design): Windows Mobile is extremely customizable, but sometimes unstable (requiring the user to soft reset a few too many times per week), while Windows Phone 7 is a "what you see is what you get" type product that has a very high level of stability and speed out of the box

I am still waiting for someone to answer my previous post regarding Windows Phone 7 and whether PocketDOS will run on it!!
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess, and it's only that, would be that Pocket DOS would require complete re-development, or at least a substantial reworking for it to run on Windows Phone 7. It's a very different OS. But not being a DOS user this is really not an informed opinion, just what I've heard from developers of a number of other WM programs.

As for your assessment of the two OS types, I'd suggest you're close. An adjustment I'd make would be to suggest that Windows Mobile 6.5.3, which I've been using for the better part of a year thanks to the good folks at xda-developers, is rather close to rock solid. I rarely have to soft reset. In fact if I do, it's usually because it's a requirement after running a full backup with Resco Backup (at least as I've got it configured, stopping all programs before backup), not because of some software problem. The last soft reset I experienced was a week ago when I dropped my HTC Kaiser and the back cover and battery popped off. The one before that was probably a couple of weeks earlier, with a backup. I don't run daily backups these days, simply because WM6.5.3 is so stable, so reliable. I have had maybe 3 or 4 forced soft resets in the past year due to software problems, but every one of these cases seemed to originate with some ill-written third party app, not with the OS itself. I test a fair number of titles, so not terribly surprising. Previous versions of WM were getting better and better for stability. By WM6.5 I had very few problems.

As for WP7 being a 'here's what it is, use it like this' sort of phone... yup, that's my impression. Of course there are already over 1,000 apps compiled for WP7, sold/provided through the MS store. But most of these are junk apps, as is to be expected when the phone has only just hit the market. It's like the early cowboy days with the Pocket PC. Things will heat up, eventually, and we'll see some solid programs for the new OS and devices. I think quite a few developers are keenly interested in providing software for WP7, while quite a few others are either opting to go after the iPhone or Android, or are sitting on the fence wondering if they should bother. The coming year should provide a clearer picture of whether MS is back in the game with WP7... or not.

My own opinion of WP7 is not very charitable. I am rather bitter that MS has decided to dump the platform I've spent 11 years learning and using, orphaning all the programs I'm accustomed to applying in my life and work. Beyond just the lack of legacy software support, I find the interface being based around social networking and other trivia to be seriously confusing and frankly ridiculous. Sure, it'll appeal to dweebs who spend most of their time documenting their every inhale and exhale to 'friends' on Twitter and Facebook, but is that a sound basis upon which to design a whole phone? I'm not seeing an advance. Rather it seems a giant step backwards, as the OS is closer to a prettied-up version of the iPhone first generation.

Capabilities will no doubt improve with second generation, or WP8 or whatever it's to be called, but if the core MO continues to involve catering the Britney Spears fans, my answer is 'no, thanks anyway.' Still holding my breath for a Toshiba TG01 to become usable with the Rogers cellular network here in Canada. If that ever happens, I'll buy this last-generation WM device. If not, it's 'Android, here I come' once my Kaiser shows signs of fading.
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,

Windows Phone 7 is Windows CE 7.0. The underlying OS is still Windows CE. However, the shell has changed significantly, and the entire application environment of the OS has been 'sandboxed', only allowing .NET applications to be run in a virtual machine.

Although it would be technically possible to run 'native' applications like PocketDOS on Windows Phone 7, it won't be possible without a form of 'jailbreaking'. In this sense, the Windows Phone 7 is very similar to the Zune (which was running Windows CE 6.x with a similar .NET sandbox).

At this point, there is no 'jailbreak' for Windows Phone 7, and we have no plans to rewrite PocketDOS in C# to allow it to run in the .NET virtual machine. Nor would we expect it to be approved by Microsoft for their version of the app store.

At some point, it may become possible to run native Windows CE applications on Windows Phone 7. At that point we would expect the current versions of PocketDOS to run, possibly with some minor modifications.

Our current focus (in as much as we are doing any development on PocketDOS), is to port PocketDOS to the Qt framework. This project (should it see the light of day) will become PocketDOS 2.0. We currently have got as far as implementing a version of PocketDOS that boots DOS in this new framework, but it's a major architectural change both of the PocketDOS UI and the underlying emulator, so it's akin to a complete rewrite of the entire app. The benefit to this change will be that we can continue to support PocketDOS on Windows CE 5.0+, as well as being able to support Symbian^3+, Maemo, MeeGo, iOS, Android, Palm OS and other common smartphone platforms.

That said, the market for DOS emulators is somewhat smaller than it was 12 years ago when we started this project, so it remains to be seen whether the amount of effort to complete this can be justified.

Thank you for your interest.
zweet350z
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wanting to know if Pocketdos has made an update that will work with the windows phone 7 OS.
I have a locksmith company that needs to run an app on there window phone 7 phones that will only run in dos.

If not, then do the latest version of Pocketdos work on a windows mobile 6.5 phones.

Thanks
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

PocketDOS is not compatible with Windows Phone 7, as Microsoft does not currently allow "native" applications to run on that system. PocketDOS is a "native" (ie. compiled C or C++) application that is compatible with Windows CE 1.0x-6.5.x

Thank you for your interest.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: