Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does PocketDOS have sound?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dallen
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2001 5:11 pm    Post subject: Does PocketDOS have sound? Reply with quote

I have an HP Jornada720. I am running Bard's Tale I with the unregistered version. I runs great except there is not sound. I checked the games specs and it uses the standard PC built-in speaker to play sounds. No sound card is required. Does PocketDOS support sound? If so you got yourself a customer. I will register ASAP.

Thanks!
Treadstone71

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't currently support sound. I wrote and asked them the same question almost half a year ago. They said at the time that they were planning on implementing PC Speaker Emulation and possibly even SoundBlaster emulation in a future release. Course I'm still waiting for the EGA/VGA hack.

'S cool that Bard's Tale runs. So far I've gotten Megatraveller 1, Ultimas 3, 4, and 5, and Sid Meier's Covert Action to run under PocketDOS. What other good old DOS games are out there?
Brian K

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the Magic Candle games, Moraff's Revenge and Moraff's World, ZZT (albeit slowly), and Telengard are all a lot of fun. Also, the old SSI gold-box AD&D games as well.

Brian K
Dallen
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound sure would be nice? Have there been any upgrades since you asked 1/2 year ago about sound?
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

PocketDOS does not currently support any form of sound apart from the system beep (Ctrl-G).

The PC speaker is designed as one of the most simple sound devices ever put into a computer. To get (non-beep) sounds out of the speaker, applications ususally use very specific timing routines which use the CPU to 'click' the speaker up to 10s of 1000s times per second. This behaviour is impossible to emulate correctly with sample-based audio hardware as is found in any modern computer. Beep sounds are made by tying the output of a hardware timer to the PC speaker, thereby causing the speaker to 'click' at the timer rate (up to very high frequencies). Even this type of sound is very difficult to emulate, as a waveform of the desired frequency must be created and fed to the sound hardware. Depending on the situation, this conversion may not take place quickly enough to reproduce the intended sounds.

The SoundBlaster (or compatible) audio hardware is sample-based sound hardware and so could be emulated using the Windows CE audio hardware. However, the Windows CE audio drivers are typically designed to play only specific sample rates as opposed to the completely programmable sample rates available with even a simple SoundBlaster audio card. This would mean some sort of sample-rate conversion would need to be done if a sample was played which did not match one of the sample rates available on the device. This is very CPU-intensive and would slow the emulation down while this was being done.

This is not to say that we won't attempt sound emulation at some point, merely just to give an insight into some of the complexities involved in this issue.

We are always working to improve PocketDOS, and are currently working on improvements to the CPU, disk and graphics emulation. Audio emulation is not currently a high priority.

Thank you for your interest.

------------------
PocketDOS - An MS-DOS 6.22 compatible DOS for your Pocket Computer.
http://www.pocketdos.com
Dallen
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure would be nice to have sound. I just purchased PocketDOS the other day. The way everyone was excited by being able to play DOS games I just figured it had sound. Otherwise I wouldn't think everyone would be so excited. I guess I was wrong.

I have tried doing the control-G on my HP720 and I did not get the bell. How do I do that?

Thanks! Keep up the good work. EGA and sound would be way cool!
Brian K

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Control-G he was speaking of isn't a keyboard command per se, but a control code... If you were to go to a machine running DOS with a PC-speaker, and type this command (depending on your config, of course):

"type c:\command.com"

you would hear a beep everytime it tried to display the Ctrl-G character on the screen.

Brian k
AlfaWolph

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2001 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so has anyone gotten civilization to work on this?
grigori
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well is too old topic but I interesting in civilization on my Pocket PC and I do not know to launch on it.
eyesight correctionкосоглазие
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: