Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serial port issues (was: Pocket Dos blows)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surveyor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Serial port issues (was: Pocket Dos blows) Reply with quote

I have a problem registering pocket dos online....i am trying to get it for a carlson explorer which we use to Survey with....the demo version is running out and it says we need to register to use it....all help would be appreciated...
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a problem registering pocket dos online....

A question, and a suggestion;
- If it 'blows', why use it?
- Ask a more specific question. 'I have a problem registering' communicates practically nothing. What problem?
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

Please be specific about the error you are receiving, and please include the full text of any errors you receive so that we can attempt to diagnose the problem you're having.

The demo version of PocketDOS does not expire. You have an unlimited time to evaluate PocketDOS.

Thank you for your interest.
TLN1
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: PocketDOS nag screen Reply with quote

Sir,

I am a surveyor also - and I do not think you represent our profession well with this type of response. Consider using a little more tact in the future.

I successfully installed PocketDOS on the JettCE with no problem - to get rid of the nag screen purchase an unlock code. I have had very few problems with this software on the AllegroCE/CX. The JettCE acutally ran all my DOS apps EXCEPT any app that uses serial IO. This appears to be a major problem on the JettCE platform and I have told them (JettCE rep)about this and got absolutly no response from them on any kind of fix or work around. So for now if you plan on any serial IO with the JettCE in PocketDOS - forget it.

TLN1
Shocked
"Seek truth and diversity of thought - Always"
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

We are working on improving the serial port emulation for the next release of PocketDOS (some time this month). It appears that some applications that used polled serial I/O (as opposed to interrupt driven) do not work correctly.

clsi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: PocketDOS--Carlson Explorer--Communication Reply with quote

We are a surveying firm that does work for the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD). AHTD requires us to use an old DOS program called SDMS for our field data collection.
We had purchased a Carlson Explorer (Jet CE) quite a while back and installed PocketDos v1.10.1 on it to run the DOS based application. We have since purchased a Carlson Explorer II to use as a data collector. The following is the system info from the "control panel"--> "system":

Same for both data collectors:
Processor: Two Tech, ARM-WINCE
Operating System: Windows CE .NET version 4.20

I had originally installed PocketDOS v1.12.2 on the Explorer II, but to rule out potential PocketDOS problems, I have installed the PocketDOS v1.10.1 on the Explorer II (downgraded). I have the exact same version of PocketDOS installed on both machines (using the same install files).

Herein lies my problem....Using the Carlson Explorer, I can hook it up to the survey instrument (Leica TPS 1100 series) running PocketDOS and SDMS. Everything works perfectly. The instruments shoots and the data collector records the data. Using the Carlson Explorer II, I can hook it up to the survey instrument, running PocketDOS and SDMS. Everything works perfectly, until I hit the power button to put the data collector into its standby/sleep mode. When I hit the power button again, I can shoot the gun but recieve no information back from it. If I go into PocketDOS and reconfigure com port 1(which it says is already set up correctly), then everything works perfectly until I hit the power button again. Everytime I put the Explorer II into standby, I have to reset COM port 1 before the instrument and data collector can communicate with each other. I do not have this problem with the original Explorer.
I am at a loss as to an explanation. It would perhaps make more sense if the gun would not shoot at all without re-configuring the COM port, but it does. It just does not recieve the information from the instrument. The two data collectors appear to be the same, except the Explorer II has more memory.
I have talked with our data collector sales rep, who spoke with his technician and thought it may have something to do with the Bootloader (may not be correct term), the file the restarts the system after a complete reboot. There is a difference here (the bootloader versions) Explorer, version 0.9.16; Explorer II, version 0.10.19. I am not sure if this is the problem since the problem occurs after putting the system on standby, not specifically when the system re-boots (although it does occur when the system re-boots).
I'm not sure if it is a specific PocketDOS problem as it works fine on the Explorer model. I am not seeing a difference between the Explorer model and Explorer II model other than more memory on the Explorer II model, unless there is some setting I'm missing.
I'm not sure if it is a specific data collector problem either. I have Carlson SurvCE installed on both machines and SurvCE appears to function correctly with our survey instruments. But, SurvCE was pre-installed onto the machines.
I am working through both PocketDOS and the our data collector sales rep (as the company making the Jet CE data collector for Carlson did not want to speak to me directly). I am hoping that someone can figure a solution that works.
Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

As for "Surveyor" who says PocketDOS blows, I would have to disagree. They were very helpful in solving our problems last time and even instituted a new version that worked for our application. Thank you PocketDOS Team.
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

PocketDOS will automatically close and re-open the serial port if the serial device reports any errors. Typically suspending and resuming the device will cause the session with the serial device to become invalid. This would cause PocketDOS to re-initiate the session with the serial device when the next access is attempted. This mechanism is obviously failing on your device.

The problem is most likely with the serial port device driver for your platform. The driver is not returning from a low-power state correctly. The driver should either re-initialise the serial port device session or invalidate it so that the application can re-initialise the session.

As the serial port device driver appears not to be returning errors after the device has been resumed, there is little we can do to detect that the port should be re-initialised. The workaround in this case (as it appears to be a problem with the actual device), is to force a re-initialisation of the serial port manually (as you're doing). We can provide you with source code for performing this programatically, but the real problem here is that there appears to be (due to the possibly buggy serial port driver) no way to detect the condition programatically.

Thank you for your custom.
clsi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find out that the OS on the device I am having problems with is a newer version than on the device that is functioning properly.

I am not sure that it is a "bug" with the serial port driver as another program on the device (SurvCE) works properly when suspended and resumed. It is only while running the program we need to run (SDMS) malfunctions while running inside pocketDOS. Although it could be a bug specific to this one device and the driver installed on it working with PocketDOS. What are your thoughts?

I may need to troubleshoot more. Run PocketDOS on another device with the newer OS and see if the problem persisits.

Thank you for your help.
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

Please also try this version:

http://www.pocketdos.com/Patches/PocketDOS_WM2003_1093.zip

You will need to copy the PocketDOS.exe file over your existing PocketDOS.exe file (usually in \Program Files\PocketDOS).

clsi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to copy the PocketDOS.exe file over the top of the existing file and recieved the following error:

"Cannot find 'PocketDOS' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available."

I tried installing the .exe file over the top of the installed v1.12.2 and the newer v1.12.3.

I have come to the conclusion, with the trouble shooting that I have been able to do, that there must be an incompatibility issue between PocketDOS and the newer build of Windows CE that is loaded on my device. We have been able to secure a device with the older build of Windows CE and everything works fine.
Versions of PocketDOS that have been tried:
1.10 FULL
1.12.2 OEM
1.12.3 OEM

Below is the system information for the device that does not work correctly:

Carlson Explorer II (Jett CE)
Loader Version: 0.10.19

System information for the devices that work correctly:

Carlson Explorer II (Jett CE)
Loader Version: 0.9.16

Carlson Explorer (Jett CE)
Loader Version: 0.9.16

The loader version is what comes up when you reboot the device and what I assume is the build of Windows CE.NET that is installed on the device.

If you think there is a fix for this, let me know and I will try to hang on to the device that is not working properly to use to test future patches/versions (I am sure that the vendor would like to have his device back as soon as possible). So, let me know something as soon as you can.

Thank you for your help.
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

It appears as if the problem is almost certainly a device issue. You can find the build number (the version of Windows CE) from the "OS Version" field when selecting "Help->System Information" from the PocketDOS menu. We would expect the OS build to be the same across all of the devices you've detailed. It's more likely that the bootloader versions refer to different ROM builds that the manufacturer has made for the device. It's quite possible that the manufacturer changed a serial port (or other driver) between ROM builds. It may help us (or them) correct the problem if it can be ascertained what changed between the working and non-working (with respect to PocketDOS serial communications) ROM builds.

Thank you for your input.
ivan
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have time out errors in a serial port with v1.12.3, I tried your link

http://www.pocketdos.com/Patches/PocketDOS_WM2003_1093.zip

Works fine but the unlock code didn't. How can I get an unlock code for that version? I already pay for the newest version, I have to pay again?
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ivan wrote:
Works fine but the unlock code didn't. How can I get an unlock code for that version? I already pay for the newest version, I have to pay again?

Dear Sir,

Please use the link that came with your unlock code to request a new unlock code. You do not need to purchase another unlock code.

Thank you for your custom.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: