Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survey: What new features would you like to see in a future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nooly
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

this was asked many times but indeed, more serious sound support (adlib/soundblaster) would be highly appreciated. you see, I'm oldschool musician and I love to play around with old music programs on my pocket device. If I understand, you don't want to add this functionality to pocketDOS itself. I think perhaps releasing sound support as custom plugin would be smart. Even basic adlib support would help so much... But I understand, it would be LOTS of work anyway.

Kind regards.
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

PocketDOS does not support any type of DMA controller emulation, which is required to support even the most basic type of sound card. Even if PocketDOS did support DMA transfers, the sound hardware in most Windows CE devices does not support arbitrary sample rates, which would require on-the-fly sample rate conversion for any sample played through the emulated sound card. For these reasons, the amount of development work to implement this in PocketDOS (or even to implement support so that a hypothetical 3rd party could develop a plugin) is prohibitive.

Thank you for your interest.
nooly
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, thank you for explanation. Wish you best luck.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: