Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer of Data from Axim X5 to HP iPac 210

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Handheld PC Questions/Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dosab
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Transfer of Data from Axim X5 to HP iPac 210 Reply with quote

My Dell Axim X5 (Pocket PC 3.0.11171 -Build 11178- 1996-2001) uses ActiveSync 3.5 to synchronize Pocket Word files and Outlook 2000 for contacts, calendar and tasks. For the last year I have been using a PC with XP Professional SP2. I was eventually able to "downgrade" the Outlook to Outlook 2000 for synchronization - although most features don't work.
Can I upgrade the Outlook 2000 without losing my data?
Will I be able to transfer my Pocket Word folder that is on my PC in My Documents - although Active Sync 4.5 doesn't support 3.5?
I am hesitant to get the iPac 210 (Windows Mobile 6) without knowing whether I can access all my essential files.
Any help would be very much appreciated!
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before doing anything else, I would recommend making a backup copy of all your important documents in another location, such as onto an external hard drive or a storage card. Then convert any documents in Pocket Word format into something more universal such as DOC (Word Document), as the more recent Pocket PC OS versions do not support Pocket Word formats. Check those converted files to see if the translation worked or resulted in garbage. If it worked, backup all your docs in this new format. THEN try using a newer device and newer Activesync. I would not trust Activesync with anything important, as it has trashed my databases far too many times... fortunately I always have a backup or two.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Handheld PC Questions/Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: