Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TIPS: How to get games working (well) under PocketDOS

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: TIPS: How to get games working (well) under PocketDOS Reply with quote

Installing and running DOS games has always been somewhat tricky (even on "real" PCs). Here are some tips to get the best performance out of games under PocketDOS (v1.11.0 or later):

First try to get the game running:
=======================
- Set XMS to 1-3Mb
- Set EMS to 3Mb
- Set Display to VGA
- Set CPU to 80286 (with SETCPU 286 from the command-line or a batch file).

If the game hangs or uses a CGA (ugly) screen mode:
=======================================
- Enable/disable the "Enable EGA BIOS detection" option from the "Settings->Display->Advanced" menu item in PocketDOS (or with SETSCRN EGABIOS ON from the command-line or in a batch file).
- Enable/disable the "Simulate display retrace" option from the "Settings->Display->Advanced" menu item in PocketDOS.
- Set CPU to 80186 (with SETCPU 186 from the command-line or a batch file).
- Disable EMS (set to 0Mb)
- Install the game onto a hard disk image or use "Physical disk" redirection (in conjunction with the "PocketDOS DOS File System Driver")
- Try another version of DOS

To improve performance (with Settings->Display):
====================================
- Rotate/zoom the display so that the entire game screen can fit onto the device screen (but not with slow/ugly full-screen stretch mode)
- Enable "Write directly to display" (Direct Screen Access)
- Set "Refresh Rate" to furthest "+" position
- Experiment with "Write Mode" ("Write-through" in conjunction with "Direct Screen Access" can give very good performance results on recent devices).

Have fun!

Last edited by PocketDOS on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
QuadU
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

testing the demo version of pocketdos before ordering it. I like to play old pc games on my pocpetpc. My machine is a vodafone vpa compact (Intel pxa272, 416 mhz, 320x240 pixel, wm2003se).

Started lemmings (Xmaslemmings from the year 1991). Mouse doesn't work correctly (horizontal). Especially when playing. For example: I touch the center of the screen or a pont right of it --> the curser hops always to the outer right side of the display. When i move the stick to the left the cursor moves to the display center. So the cursor is (horizontaly) never there, where it has to.

I tried out changing mouse sensivity -> no change
Display-Option "Fix mouse pointer corruption" is greyed out.

What's the problem?
PocketDOS
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

Some applications ignore the absolute positions given to them by the PocketDOS mouse driver and instead caclulate the mouse pointer position from the relative movement of the mouse. This works fine for ball mice, but leads to the situation you describe when using a touch screen, because there is no feedback possible from a DOS program to the mouse driver, whereby the DOS program would tell the mouse driver where it "thinks" the mouse cursor should be.

The only way around this behaviour is to drag the mouse cursor to the top-lefthand corner of the display. Subsequent stylus taps should then put the cursor in the correct position.

Thank you for your interest.
QuadU
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. PocketDOS,

thank you for your answer. I'm sorry, that my explanation didn't describe the problem well. So, your proposal doesn't solve the problem, because the mouse pointer has not an offset.

It seems, that the movement of the pointing device in the x direction is translated by the factor 2:1 (the y direction is not affected).
So, when I start to move the "mouse" from the left border of the screen and drag it to the right, the following is happening:

stylus at the left side: cursor position matches stylus position
stylus draged 1/4 of the way to the right: cursor went 1/2 of the way
stylus at the display center: cursor already at the right border of the display

What do you think?
RTB888
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Trying to game Reply with quote

I tried to start a game.
It is called nitemare 3D.
I typed N3D but it doesn't work so i typed N3D.exe.
Doesn't work either.
It's a demo version on a hp 1915. On windows 2002.
How can i start the game??
LastCaress
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem as QuadU which is a real shame because the games would work fine otherwise (example : Detroit). Isn't there a way around this problem now?
(HP Ipaq rx1950)

Thanks!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> PocketDOS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: