Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't close programs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmullen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:03 am    Post subject: Can't close programs Reply with quote

Even after I close a program with the X in the corner it is still open in the background. After working for a while I go into memory and it shows all the programs I thought I'd closed still running. And yes they are chewing on memory and performance suffers.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, that's not a bug. At least not according to the genius of Microsoft. They are determined that 'automatic memory management' works, and feel that we don't really mean Close when we exit a program. I have a hard time believing this level of stupidity, especially in the face of statistics showing huge numbers of Pocket PC users downloading various third-party task closer/switcher programs. Does MS really think we are such babies that we need our hands held in this way? And the continued crippling of File Explorer further attests to the stupidity of whoever is making these decisions. I run three other file explorers just to fill in all the blanks left out of the PPC version, plus registry editors and a system database editor. Such arrogance can be overcome, with experience, but why should we have to do such things?
deepak
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does not most of the application's provide a button or menu item to exit application?
Is there any reason behind this?

I was annoyed, I have to use 'Ctrl' + 'q' of virtual keyboard. which is cumbersome.

Deepak
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The X is not close in the Pocket PC, it's hide window.

------------------
Chris De Herrera
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
http://www.cewindows.net - The most complete set of FAQs on Windows CE
http://www.tabletpctalk.com - The best source for Tablet PC News
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many programs do offer a Close or Exit button somewhere, usually in their File pop-up menu. But Microsoft decide that to receive 'official' Pocket PC compatibility status (they even had a name for it, but I forget) developers must not add this feature. It was/is a deliberate effort to emphasize the 'automatic memory management' of the Pocket PC. But as you and most of the rest of us mere consumers know, that aspect of the PPC is a complete mistake. It doesn't work, period. I've had Pocket IE close itself just a few KB shy of a big download because the OS is incapable of accurately allocating memory. I may still have over 4MB available, but not enough of one or the other memory category. It self-adjusts up to a point, but the mud left behind by programs we no longer need open really hogs speed and space.
This has always felt like a major ego issue with MS development people. They insist that it works, because it's intended to work, and cannot admit that it is a failure. Simply giving users a proper taskbar would fix this, but instead the valuable real estate of the 240 x 26 pixel top bar is largely left to grow weeds, unless we adopt Gigabar, WIS Bar, or one of the many other taskbar replacements and add-ons developers have so kindly given us. That doesn't help newbies though, does it? It always takes a while to figure out where to get these programs, if a user ever finds out that is. People who don't happen to browse the web for software a lot often go through their Pocket PC experience never knowing how to close apps. It's just not right.
Cindy_K

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote Microsoft a Comment email about that X.
I'm a developer and I know what the X does but I can't help but hit it when I am not paying attention. Then I have the real aggravation of going to the Memory Settings screen to really kill the App.

Send Microsoft an Email.. If they get enough of them maybe they will wake up.
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Unfortunately, Microsoft has decided to go the philosophical route here. They refuse to believe that users can manage the ram better than they can. They steadfastly have decided to push and push to make the system manage it for you.

I have been in multiple meetings with the product managers at Microsoft arguing this issue.

quote:
Originally posted by Cindy_K:
I wrote Microsoft a Comment email about that X.
I'm a developer and I know what the X does but I can't help but hit it when I am not paying attention. Then I have the real aggravation of going to the Memory Settings screen to really kill the App.

Send Microsoft an Email.. If they get enough of them maybe they will wake up.

------------------
Chris De Herrera
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
http://www.cewindows.net - The most complete set of FAQs on Windows CE
http://www.tabletpctalk.com - The best source for Tablet PC News
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for those efforts Chris. It is good to hear that your voice was at least heard, if ignored in this. I'd felt for a long time that some sort of ego-involvement was at the root of the whole 'automatic memory allocation' thing, making it impossible for the developers responsible to see that it was a lost cause.
Thankfully, most non-Microsoft developers have the grace and intelligence to provide users with a real 'X' of some sort, and all the various taskbar replacement programs make closing MS programs a lot easier. Gigabar's latest version is more potent than ever at this, even allowing on to use the GigaXOK to 'close' Settings windows and shortcut menus under Start/Programs. Really handy.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC Bugs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: